Bad landlord, how do I report them?

Jettanna

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1432 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

HI, so there is this fairly large land rental place who I was happy with for several weeks. then my house that was generated on my land disappeared. I re-rezzed it and thought nothing of it. then it happened again. then again and this time I couldn't put my furniture back out (I was thinking of changing up) get an agent to come by and they say "oh this region is full". I am not over my limit, just apparently my neighbors are. I have 10 weeks rented on this property, cause like I said I was happy. they offer another land, not the same as mine and I would have to just convert my paid time over to that rate, no offer of a discount or anything for the hassle of having to move. So I reluctantly agree because they say no refunds. So they tell me just pay the rent on this new land so they can transfers my time. I do so, I pay 4 weeks to at least get the 10% off for that and now I can't even get the land scene changer to work or a house to generate like it should. my time is not moved over (this was last night, I just checked) and now I have two lands I can't use, and even more money I won't be getting back. I know I was stupid for paying the 4 weeks, but the not even having my time moved or working land is a bit much. 

7 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, Jettanna said:

HI, so there is this fairly large land rental place who I was happy with for several weeks. then my house that was generated on my land disappeared. I re-rezzed it and thought nothing of it. then it happened again. then again and this time I couldn't put my furniture back out (I was thinking of changing up) get an agent to come by and they say "oh this region is full". I am not over my limit, just apparently my neighbors are. I have 10 weeks rented on this property, cause like I said I was happy. they offer another land, not the same as mine and I would have to just convert my paid time over to that rate, no offer of a discount or anything for the hassle of having to move. So I reluctantly agree because they say no refunds. So they tell me just pay the rent on this new land so they can transfers my time. I do so, I pay 4 weeks to at least get the 10% off for that and now I can't even get the land scene changer to work or a house to generate like it should. my time is not moved over (this was last night, I just checked) and now I have two lands I can't use, and even more money I won't be getting back. I know I was stupid for paying the 4 weeks, but the not even having my time moved or working land is a bit much. 

Unfortunately, there is little you can do.  LL will not get involved in Resident to Resident disputes and mostly their policy is 'Buyer Beware'.

Continue trying to talk to the landlord -- and above all, be polite at all times.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

I'm sorry you're having landlord problems, @Jettanna!  Unfortunately, Linden Lab won't do anything about this kind of issue; they figure it's between you and the landlord.  Also unfortunately, the landlord holds all the cards.  If you get all up in their face, they may just decide to kick you out...and you won't get a refund on any money you've paid, either.  About the only thing you can do is to continue to remind them, POLITELY, about their agreement to apply your unused rental on the old place to the new one.

The other thing you can do is, at the expiration of your paid-up rental period, move out.  There are lots of more accommodating landlords in SL.  Plus if you want to get a Premium membership, you can buy your own land, or get a free Linden Home, and not have to worry about landlords at all.

• Like 3

That would be a good suggestion for Linden Labs, to have a rating system, or "Better Business Bureau" for landlords and merchants.

It may not solve everything, but being able to leave feedback on someone's business dealings can at least enlighten other residents.

Of course, they could just create alts and keep cheating people.

I know this won't solve the problem you have now, @Jettanna, but the best way to get away from landlords and those dealings is to purchase your own land.  Then you have control over it.  It comes with a cost, but I have found it to be worthwhile.

20 minutes ago, Kerrianne Wheatcliffe said:

That would be a good suggestion for Linden Labs, to have a rating system, or "Better Business Bureau" for landlords and merchants.

It may not solve everything, but being able to leave feedback on someone's business dealings can at least enlighten other residents.

Of course, they could just create alts and keep cheating people.

Guaranteed scamming the system would happen.  

• Like 2

On 5/11/2020 at 9:35 PM, Jettanna said:

an agent to come by and they say "oh this region is full".

Walk into the parcels you rented and open the "about land" window. You should be able to see how many prims are available/used.

Unless multiple people are using the same parcel (which would point to possibly scummy behavior), the amount of prims available is based on the size of the parcel, not the rest of the region.

The reason why it might point to scummy behavior is that they can over-book the parcel with more tenants than can realistically share the prims, and even with two tenants the other person can hog everything and leave you nothing.

A way it could happen with only one tenant per parcel is by setting the region's Object Bonus to something higher than 1. Set it to 1.5, every parcel now has 50% more LI available. If the landowner didn't set aside enough empty land to account for the excess LI and enough people try to use all their LI, the region will hit the limit. Some don't understand how object bonus works, others do know but might pack a region full of parcels for rent & use it to make the parcels more desirable.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1432 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.