Can't Edit my own things and have re-installed Firestorm

NaomiKumasaki

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1468 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I am unable to edit or move something on my avatar or right click an object to see the creator is.

This has been going on for about 5 months now.

I re installed Firestorm and still having the same issues.

Could I have un checked something in preferences or advanced by mistake ?

Thanks

Petal

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, NaomiKumasaki said:

I am unable to edit or move something on my avatar or right click an object to see the creator is.

"Something" and "an object"?  Or a specific thing and a particular object?  If you are trying to move a rigged item that you are wearing, that won't work.  Rigged clothing can't be moved.  It's designed to match the bones of your avatar ( that's what "rigged" means ), so it will always stay in exactly the correct position to follow the movements of those bones.  If you can't move anything that's attached to your avatar, that's a different matter.  I can't think of a good reason for that to happen, and I can't think of a reason offhand why you shouldn't be able to edit any object and art least see who the creator is.  That part's a puzzle.

Hi, @NaomiKumasaki!

As Rolig says, we could use a little more detail about the problem.  For example...

• Can you rez a cube?  In an area where you can build, right click the ground.  Choose Build.  Left click the ground again...does a cube appear?  If so...
  • Can you edit the cube?  Right click the cube, select Edit.  Do three colored arrows appear on the cube?  Can you drag the cube around by clicking and holding on the arrowheads?

If you can do that, then...

• Right click the cube.  Do you see context menu choices for either Object Profile or Inspect?
    • If you see a choice for Object Profile, select it.  Now look at your Inventory window.  It should say Profile, and display information about the object.
    • If you see Inspect, select it.  You should see a separate Inspection window open up.  If it is blank, click the object again, while leaving the window open.

Both the older Inspect and the newer Object Profile way of checking out objects are available in the current release of Firestorm, but, as the friendly telephone recordings are fond of telling us, "our menu options have changed."

If you have gotten this far successfully, then just a couple more points...

• You cannot Inspect layer-type clothing, only actual 3D object attachments.
  • You cannot edit the position of rigged mesh clothing or attachments.  Both of these are normal behavior.

If you're still having trouble, then...

• Try another viewer.  Do you still have the same problems while using the standard Linden Lab viewer?  If so, file a Support Case for assistance.
  • When you re-installed Firestorm, did you do a "clean install" to remove all traces of the previous installation?  If not, see here:  https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/fs_clean_install
  • Also, when re-installing, do not restore settings from a backup, let it set up all the defaults, then go in and customize your preferences.

Edited by Lindal Kidd

Thank you both for your help.  I am able to rez a box and move it. I am not able to move a necklace that I have on my neck.

Another thing I noticed is I am unable to do is right click on an object and tell who owns it or created it.  Has that changed ?

Should I do a clean install ?

Thanks again.

Petal

5 hours ago, NaomiKumasaki said:

I am not able to move a necklace that I have on my neck.

As Rolig suggested, the necklace is most likely a rigged one. To confirm this, when you grab the edit arrows to try and move the necklace do the arrows themselves move while the necklace does not? If so, that is expected behaviour for a rigged mesh item. Think of rigging as the object being 'pinned' to you in various places. This is so that it fits the avatar it's rigged for perfectly, it moves when that avatar moves, and it also changes with shape slider changes.

Example: Your necklace might be rigged for the Maitreya 'Lara' body, but you might be wearing the Belleza 'Freya' body. While the necklace would sit perfectly on 'Lara', and if you were to make any shape slider changes while wearing that body the necklace would change with it (e.g. if you made your neck size thicker, the necklace would get bigger as well) it will not sit perfectly on the neck and shoulders of 'Freya', because that body is shaped differently.

5 hours ago, NaomiKumasaki said:

I am unable to do is right click on an object and tell who owns it or created it.

Check your viewer menu to ensure that you've not enabled Select Only My Objects:

239704941_selectonlymyobjects.png.7ad7986214070a426276ca4fe54cb508.png

• Like 3

9 hours ago, NaomiKumasaki said:

...Another thing I noticed is I am unable to do is right click on an object and tell who owns it or created it.  Has that changed ?

No, it hasn't changed.  Right click the object, and you can find its owner and creator in any of three ways.

• Select Edit.  In the Edit window, look in the General tab.  The owner, the creator, and the previous owner will be shown in that window.
  • Select Inspect.  The Inspection window will open.  Often, in doing this, the object becomes de-selected and the window will be blank.  Leaving the window open, simply select the object again.
  • Select Object Profile.  Your Inventory window will change to the Object Profile display.  This will also show the creator and owner.

You can find the creator of an object in your inventory too, by right clicking it and choosing Properties.

5 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

You can find the creator of an object in your inventory too, by right clicking it and choosing Properties.

This is not always true and I don't know what the criteria is for when it shows the creator name and when it shows as "(unknown)".  There are "objects" where I can only actually see the creator by rezzing or attaching it.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1468 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.