Window Blind "stuck" IN glass

Bear Priestman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1457 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hi,

I have one of the houses you get with an annual subscription.

The other day, I went out and purchased a window blind.

I put it in front of the window (inside) and resized it to fit the window.  Then, since it was quite far away from the window I moved it closer.

Somehow, It seems like it's IN the glass of the window.  When I try right clicking on the blind, all I can get is the actual house!

I also went outside (in case I'd slid it outside of the building) and right clicking I STILL get the house.

Any ideas on how to "get to" something we purchased but seems to be un-touchable?

Thanks

window-blind.jpg

4 answers to this question

To expand on Alwin's post...

"Camming in" means to move your camera very carefully so that it is actually looking INSIDE the window glass prim.  To do this, I would hold down the ALT key and then move my mouse.  This works because prims are actually not solids, but hollow boxes, textured on only one side.

There's also an item...I think it is in the Build menu...that's called something like "De-render selected".  If this option is checked, you can right click the window glass and it will be de-rendered.  Then immediately right click the window shade.  It too will de-render...but it will be selected, and the Edit window will be open.  Move the window shade, then de-select it, and de-enable the "De-render selected" option.

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 1

This is a great opportunity to develop your camera skills.  I recommend being sure to Disable Camera Constraints in your Advanced Menu (CTRL + Alt + D ) to make it easier to move the camera though obstacles.  Then, I really suggest getting rid of the clunky camera widget that you have on your screen.  I think you'll find it a lot easier to use your mouse and the arrow keys on your keyboard.

f_SLcameraconm_43a804a.jpg.447df400e8f53a7f9254c484c0afb5ff.jpg

Then, follow Lindal's directions.  Retrieving an object inside another one can be tricky business, but it really does sharpen your fine motor skills and test your patience. 

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

there are a few ways .. if you'r on firestorm, use the area search, find the item, and click edit in the search window
a second is cam into your window and edit the item in it to move.

That worked!

Thanks - most helpful.  Also the additional help from Lindal and Rolig made the whole experience awesome.

Thank you again.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1457 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.