Discord

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 hours ago, Paul Hexem said:

The real issue is that apparently group chat and all the other various group functions are somehow connected, so just opening the chat window to say hello has something to do with land controls.

How is that?

I believe it has to do with the group control...the owner of the group allows group chat and voice chat, not the land...not that I know of.  

I have three groups as owner and creator.  I allow or disallow group chat or voice chat.  

My groups are set to allow both group chat and voice chat.  The group owner has to check those options to allow it - group chat/voice chat.  

But, it's not group chat and voice chat together.  You can have both, only one, or none as a group owner.  

Edited by FairreLilette

On 4/15/2020 at 2:06 AM, Rhonda Huntress said:

Oh, I know.  There are many very valid reason people use Discord for SL communications.  Those reasons should not exist is my point.

Wouldn't it be nice to have unlimited groups with all the text features and reliability of Discord right here in world?  You know it can be done.  Discord does it.  Skype does it.  Hell, AOL could do it. Maybe it's just me but if I was part of the Linden Lab leadership team I would find it embarassing to learn that peole have to use outside resources to do what should be the basic functions of my platform.  It would be like have a TV network where people have to use a radio to hear what is happening

Group chat has been an embarrassment for a very long time. I know they didn't anticipate people using groups the way they have (and that is why they don't scale well), but 17 years in, it's just sad. Hell, I don't understand why we have to use chat repeaters on land if we want local chat to go beyond a very small distance. The way they handle chat in sims is not much better than how they handle group chat. Chat is such a fundamental basic - and something in SL that has been subpar for far too long.

I think this thread or I was hehehe confusing group chat with the nearby chat window, which is also known as local chat.  

Discord may be a necessary option because of nearby chat window lag and that may be why people love it...although I have not tried it yet.    

I hate chat lag, no matter where it is.  But, it happens from time to time.   A relog can often fix chat lag.  At this time of "safer at home" any kind of lag may not so easily be remedied.  

Edited by FairreLilette

Maybe they were thinking "Run everything through the simulators.  We are adding simulators all the time so we will always have enough of them no matter how many people join."  Then groups were added to do various things, and morphed several times.  When land options were added to groups so group members could be given abilities on group land without turning those abilities on for everyone, checking your group membership, roles and abilities was added before you rez an object, cross a parcel border, fly, etc.That checking was done in the viewer to keep load on the simulator from  getting crazy.  Somebody modified the viewer to bypass those checks forcing adding those checks to the simulator.

Is group chat still run through the simulator the group member is in at the time?  I lost track.  If so, that could be as many simulators as online group members, each having to somehow participate in spatial local chat and every group chat for every group every agent present is in.  Then there is the issue of storing each message until each simulator can get it to their group members, when many people suffer with horrendous network connections and / or client computers that struggle with rendering Second Life.  And, this is all UDP between the simulator and the client so both have the additional task of tracking every packetized message sent, acknowledged or not.

It becomes and N-dimensional system of various connections.

/me trudges off, nursing a headache.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1470 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.