Sign in to follow this  
MelodicRain

Textures are refusing to load completely on some objects

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 85 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The issue mostly happens with clothing (and it's the same clothing every time), but sometimes on rezzed furniture as well. Additionally, the issue is not client-side, as every other person I've talked to is able to see this issue. For these objects the texture will not load to full resolution, it's stuck as either gray (not loaded at all), or a very low res (like 32x32 or something). The only way to fix this is to go into edit mode and inspect each face (generic texture refresh on whole object will not fix), when the face is selected it forces the texture to reload to full resolution. But, the moment I detach the clothing, and wear it, the issue will happen again. However this is not practical at all because other people are not going to inspect my clothing and cycle through each face to reload the texture.

image.png.be1397657985bef4f30cec3a60102c4b.png

In the above screenshot I took off every other attachment and went to an almost empty sim to ensure it's not lag. I sat there for literally half an hour and the textures still in this barely-loaded state.

Anyone know how to fix this? I'm on Firestorm.

I have some clothes with the same problem. I have a gorgeous swimsuit that just absolutely refuses to render for me.With that suit I am pretty sure the problem is with the developer and not my computer/viewer/network. But, it can be a network or viewer issue. So, before you start ripping your compute or viewer apart eliminate a developer problem. 

Next time you start the viewer pop open the Viewer Stats (Ctrl-Shift-1 a toggle) and look at your network stats, Packet Loss and PING time. They should be <1% and <250ms. Packet loss is high at startup. The % will usually go down over time. If not <1% over 15 to 30 minutes, look at your network first.

Next... get a redelivery of the item and try it. Avoid using an archived 'box' you saved. The dev may have updated something and not said anything. So you want new.

If the network and redelivery are good then an easy test is to ignore the good advice to "never clear your cache" and clear the viewer's texture cache... or make it simpler and just clear the whole freaking cache system (it is a thing in Preferences). I am recommending clearing for simplicity. But you shouldn't be clearing your cache without a REALLY good reason. If you are having network issues, clearing cache will aggravate your problems.

If that does not resolve the problem look to see who is making the clothes. If you have the problem with a number of items from the same designer... it may be they are uploading textures from a viewer without Kakadu (a JPG2000 library). FS and LL's SL Viewer both use it so that covers 90+% of users. But... This is a complex problem that is intermittent and depends on an individual image not compressing well while others do well. Makes it hard to figure out what is wrong. This used to be a big problem then the FS Dev Team sprung for Kakadu and the problem mostly went away.

Try 3 different viewers, LL's SL Viewer (default), FS, and Catznip (recommended 3rd viewer) or Black Dragon or Singularity... the third viewer is up to you. They all use a separate caches. You will be loading copies of the problem stuff 3 times. See if the problem item is a problem in all viewers.

If this doesn't fix in here somewhere... come back and post what you have tried.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 85 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.