No Sansar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Trying to criticize the Lab's management is easy

Yes and that's why I referred to what Lindens themselves have said throughout my post.

Read the Ebbe quote again. Do you realise what it means when somebody in his position and with his experience says something like that in that context? Translated to plain English with all the cotton removed it means: "this thing is so f***ed up we see no point in repairing it so we'll try to make something new from scratch instead."

Not recognising this would actually implicitly be rather harsh criticism of LL because so much of what they have done since then would have made little or no sense if the SL software had been in the shape it should have been in back in 2014.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, animats said:

You log in, and some load balancer assigns you a slot on a "user server".

Anything which can be done in the user servers takes load off the sim servers.

Now I really have reason to complain. Where in the TOS did I give LL permission to read my mind and steal ideas I've never shared with anybody else???

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

Now I really have reason to complain. Where in the TOS did I give LL permission to read my mind and steal ideas I've never shared with anybody else???

orrr even worse

where in the TOS did I give LL permission to steal my ideas that I never even thought of yet, but would have had they never stole them out of my head 😸

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm encouraged that LL is cleaning up some parts of the system. I was expecting them to box up antiquated server code and obsolete versions of software it uses into a Docker container, allowing them to run long-outdated versions in "the cloud" for years to come.

I was pleased to discover recently that the viewer (Firestorm version) can now be built on Linux with the standard GCC compiler, library, and tools, and with the standard version of Python3. A year ago you had to install obsolete tools from about 2013 to build the viewer. I gather this was a problem in Windows land, too, and a worse one, because you needed obsolete, unsupported versions of the Microsoft toolchain, which are hard to get. On the viewer side, some of the technical debt has been paid down.

Edited by animats
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1482 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.