Pretty good video about the "Rare Earth Hypothesis"

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1524 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

16 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

If the universe is infinitely large, then, even if the occurrence of Earth is very very rare indeed, there will be infinitely many copies of you (yes you) in this same universe, and many of them (infinitely so) are evil.

Does this mean that there's a me somewhere that's healthy?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

That's the fun part about infinity. It means that there's an infinite amount of you out there.

There's an infinite amount of .. things .. or space.  I know of no reason why infinity should replicate us, infinitely, many times, or at all.

18 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I know of no reason why infinity should replicate us

It's not replication. The odds are that there's a planet out there that has developed in almost the same way as hours, on which creatures evolved that look just like us, even just like you. What would you think the odds were? Quite small, right? Well, here's the thing: if the universe is infinitely big, then even the smallest off odd will happen somewhere in this infinite universe. For an infinite amount of times.

There's this other fun thing about an infinite universe. Imagine an apple on a table. All the air molecules around it will move in random ways, thus pushing from all different directions on the apple. The net result is that the apple will stay on the table. But if all the air molecules, just by a very odd chance, happen to move upward at the same time, they will move the apple with them up in the air. So, in theory, an apple could suddenly fall upward. The chance that it will happen is very small, but I'm pretty sure somewhere in this universe there's an apple that suddenly jumps up. Even better, there must be an apple that keeps hovering over the table for hours and hours. (An infinite amount of them.)

Here's Stephen Fry touching on the subject:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

It's not replication. The odds are that there's a planet out there that has developed in almost the same way as hours, on which creatures evolved that look just like us, even just like you. What would you think the odds were? Quite small, right? Well, here's the thing: if the universe is infinitely big, then even the smallest off odd will happen somewhere in this infinite universe. For an infinite amount of times.

But do odds actually matter?

5 minutes ago, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

Yeah. Without odds, we wouldn't have radioactive decay, or we wouldn't be able to cool down those quantum computers to 3 nano-Kelvin.

I'll take your word for it. :) Just now I'm imagining how many quantum computers it would take to cool down the climate.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1524 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.