is there a linkset door opening script?

Britt32 Beck

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

15 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

I do it the way I describe all the time.

Not quite as described, I think. The hinge can't be linked to both the moving door links and the unmoving house links because a linkset has no structural depth, just a flat sequence. That is, there's no linkset hierarchy: the door stuff can't be linked together within the larger linkset of door/house/hinge; there's no way to make it a subassembly that can move separately.

Molly found the solution in this case by establishing that the door linkset could instead collapse into a single link, which makes the script trivial. An alternate solution is a root prim hinge linked only to the moving parts, but that would mean the (moving) bed part couldn't be linked to the static frame (nor the house). To move a bunch of linked stuff relative to another bunch of static stuff in the same linkset -- that's where the script gets a little complicated with a tradeoff between appearance and efficiency.

2 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Not quite as described, I think. The hinge can't be linked to both the moving door links and the unmoving house links because a linkset has no structural depth, just a flat sequence. That is, there's no linkset hierarchy: the door stuff can't be linked together within the larger linkset of door/house/hinge; there's no way to make it a subassembly that can move separately.

Molly found the solution in this case by establishing that the door linkset could instead collapse into a single link, which makes the script trivial. An alternate solution is a root prim hinge linked only to the moving parts, but that would mean the (moving) bed part couldn't be linked to the static frame (nor the house). To move a bunch of linked stuff relative to another bunch of static stuff in the same linkset -- that's where the script gets a little complicated with a tradeoff between appearance and efficiency.

Ahah! I see what you mean. I misunderstood the the scenario. Perhaps it's a technical thing, but I have always wished pinkest worked like duffle bags: First in is last out; meaning if I have a five-piece link set, then object 4 or the root of five' object three is the root of four and so on. Somewhat akin to inverse kinematics, without the inverse part. LOL

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

First in is last out; meaning if I have a five-piece link set, then object 4 or the root of five' object three is the root of four and so on. Somewhat akin to inverse kinematics, without the inverse part. LOL

Basically, a hierarchy system. Something that has been wished for years and apparently never to come. 

• Like 2

If you link a hinged door to an object - there is no hinged door anymore - all parts are directly linked to the root now and you can imagine what a script in the hinge will do now - nothing useful.

A script needs to:

identify all door parts
calculate the relative position of the hinge for each part
the hinge-prim is quite handy here since it allows to compute that data easily

for the rotation the script needs to collect the rotations and movements-steps for every door-prim and execute all moves/rotations in a single SLPPF call - for each step

Qie already explained why you need to have steps and a single move/rot will not look like a moving door.

Thats all doable and I see no problems but the whole script surely will have some complexity. 

I would never sell such a script on MP since non builders/non scripters would buy it and fail miserably when trying to set it up. I'm not patient and friendly enough to deal with this customers. 😁
So maybe you can find such a script on MP but I think you will need to ask in the employment section of this forum.

Oh - and if the object is resized - a new setup is required - if the invisible-hinge is left in place the script could do that automatic.
Dealing with multiple doors in the same linkset is another point. Not needed for furniture.
If someone links that multi-prim-door-furniture to a bigger object - what will the script do? You see - it's possible to add many bells and whistles to the script. 😎 
At least - some details to think through b4 starting that project.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1583 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.