land auctions

Tiff2Serious

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1629 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I want to know with land auctions, if you win the auction would you need to pay weekly/monthly expenses to keep the land? if so how much? I'm rather new to all of this

I know you need to be a premium member to participate in the auction, and also do I need to buy prims for the land?

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Tiff2Serious said:

I want to know with land auctions, if you win the auction would you need to pay weekly/monthly expenses to keep the land? if so how much? I'm rather new to all of this

I know you need to be a premium member to participate in the auction, and also do I need to buy prims for the land?

Please read a lot more about how land works before bidding in an auction!  I don't mean to sound harsh, but your post shows you have some serious misconceptions about the whole land thing.

I teach a class about SL land on Saturdays, at Caledon Oxbridge University, at 12 noon SL time.  It's free to attend!

A few points:

• Yes, you need to be a Premium member to bid in an auction (or to own any Mainland).
  • As a Premium member, you may get a free Linden Home.  The older styles are on 512 sq m parcels and have a prim allowance of 175.  Newer styles are on 1,024 sq. m and have a prim allowance of 351.
  • As an alternative, you may buy a Mainland parcel, either through the auctions or by going to a parcel that is for sale and purchasing it from the current owner.
  • You do not pay any monthly land fees besides your Premium membership, as long as the total Mainland you own is 1,024 sq. m or less.
  • You may also rent land from another resident, either Mainland or land on a private estate.  You do not need to be a Premium member to get land in this way.
  • If you own land, the only way to get more prims is to buy a larger parcel, or buy additional land within the same region.  If you rent land, your landlord may be willing to increase your prim allowance in return for an increased rental fee.

In further clarification .... All landowners in SL pay monthly land use fees to Linden Lab.  As Lindal says, if you are a Premium member your membership fee pays for a land fee waiver for up to 1024 sq m of land on the Mainland, so you end up not paying anything more than that.  If you buy land in a private estate or if you are not a Premium member, you pay those land fees directly to the Lab each month.  Think of land use fees as the SL equivalent of property tax or a condominium fee in RL.  Once you have bought and paid for land, you still continue to pay those fees as long as you own the property. 

The major difference between a Linden Home and any other property you may own on the Mainland estate is that the Linden Home includes a house on the land, so you don't need to buy and erect one of your own.  The house remains the property of Linden Lab (so it doesn't count against the Land Impact allowance for your parcel, but you can't sell or replace it with your own either).   Otherwise, a Linden Home parcel is like any other land on the Mainland estate.  You pay monthly land fees, using the waiver from your Premium membership.

3 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

The house remains the property of Linden Lab (so it doesn't count against the Land Impact allowance for your parcel, but you can't sell or replace it with your own either).

Just a quick little clarification: The house does remain owned by Linden Lab but that isn't the reason it doesn't count against the parcel's land impact allowance. The root 'prim' of the house linkset is outside of the parcel, so the LI of the house is counted against the common land rather than the parcel the rest of the house is on. There's no magic exclusion from parcel LI counts for LL owned items.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1629 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.