Donate Land to a Group

dirkpowers44

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A premium member can own 1024 square meters without paying tier.  A friend would like to donate his 1024 meters to a group.  He is hoping the group can combine several donations and buy land larger than 1024 square meters and not pay tier.  But we do not know how to donate the square meters.  I assume that is different than deeding land already owned to the group...it would not make sense for the group to own several disjointed pieces of land.  

Groups can own land spread out all over the grid if that's desired. Group land is either deeded to the group or bought for the group. This depends on there being enough tier contributed to the group. In the simplest case, nobody deeds any existing land to the group but instead donates all their tier (see the "Land" tab of the Group Info window) and only then is the desired land bought for the group (see the About Land window for the "Buy for Group" option on land that's for sale).

Often, though, folks will have existing land they want the group to end up owning. That (usually) means deeding it to group (again from the About Land window) and checking the box "Owner makes contribution with deed" so the group gets enough tier to cover the land.

Because group land gets a 10% bonus, a 1024 deeded to group will only cause the owner to contribute tier of 931 sq.m., so that owner may want to go to the Group Info / "Land" tab and change that to the full 1024 sq.m. contribution so the group can own even more land.

That also means that even without anybody else in the group, a Premium member's 1024 tier can cover 1120 sq.m. of group-owned land.*

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, huh, I thought it was just assumed that the Group to which land would be deeded is completely controlled by the land's rightful owner and his/her alts. I'd never consider deeding land to a group that I didn't control, unless I totally trusted everybody else in the group with land-relevant Abilities (or was just unloading the land to the group with no plans for it at all myself). So if the OP was actually thinking of deeding to some other group, that's a hard no, don't do that!

On 10/21/2019 at 8:40 AM, dirkpowers44 said:

A premium member can own 1024 square meters without paying tier.  A friend would like to donate his 1024 meters to a group.  He is hoping the group can combine several donations and buy land larger than 1024 square meters and not pay tier.  But we do not know how to donate the square meters.  I assume that is different than deeding land already owned to the group...it would not make sense for the group to own several disjointed pieces of land.  

[I know the OP posted this a long time ago and may never return to see my comment, but I will answer their question in the interest of answering for others who may come along with the same question]

I do this myself - I have two accounts that are premium, one owns a Linden Home Camper (512 m@) so there is 512 m@ not being used. The other does not own a LH Home. So I buy land on Heterocera and deed it to my group then donate all of available unused Land Use fee Waivers (it's not called Tier, by the way) to the group so the group can own the land along with a 10% bonus. Here is how to do it:

In each account that wants to donate their 'tier' - open the same group that owns the land. Go to the LNAD USE tab. You will see a box where you can donate tier, anything from 1 square meter all the way up to the maximum you allow. So for one of my account it is a full 1024 and for the other it's 512. You can increase the allowable amount through your Second Life Dashboard under the Land tab.

Good luck, and very smart move!

Edited by Alyona Su

13 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Oh, huh, I thought it was just assumed that the Group to which land would be deeded is completely controlled by the land's rightful owner and his/her alts. I'd never consider deeding land to a group that I didn't control

One very large land baron that was a friend of mine from almost all the way back to my rez date pointed this out to me. They have a series of groups that pay people to donate tier - and that is how they hold vast stretches of land across the grid.

If you don't have a series of grandfathered sims (not relevant to mainland), or you don't offer something special - you're unlikely to be able to match tier from rent...

Apparently a LOT of people are willing to give their tier to 'random group X' in exchange for a few lindens a month payout. Some even donate for no payout at all.

If we look around mainland, we can see some land barons rent out plots very actively and maintain a LOT of tenants, and we'll see other land barons that have half or more or their plots un-rented. Some plots are not even listed (you have to start examining About Land to discover this). A few of these might be to groups that try for a motive like Arbor Project, but many are held by the same owner(s) as the rental barons for... whatever reason.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1641 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.