Curiosity

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

With the new Tlia, and with the new fees, I think LL might be double dipping on fees. You get charged a fee when you convert from SLD to USD, then a processing fee from USD to your PayPal account. That fee has more than doubled in the last couple of months. :( So I wondered what people's thoughts are to the following:

Will merchants raise their pricing to offset for these new fees?
Will groups raise their pricing to offset the new fees?
Will merchants close shop because of the new fees?
Will there be a drop in resident because of these new fees?

Just now, MiguelAngel22 said:

With the new Tlia, and with the new fees, I think LL might be double dipping on fees. You get charged a fee when you convert from SLD to USD, then a processing fee from USD to your PayPal account. That fee has more than doubled in the last couple of months. :( So I wondered what people's thoughts are to the following:

The fee being charged to transfer to Paypal is the fee paypal charge I would assume

2 minutes ago, MiguelAngel22 said:

I think LL might be double dipping on fees.

You have another think coming. If you actually read (and then comprehend) the information provided by Linden Lab then you'd know how amazingly wrong you are.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, MiguelAngel22 said:

So I wondered what people's thoughts are to the following:

Some of each, I expect, plus a big chunk of people who are willing and able to absorb the fee increase themselves, thereby neither raising their costs nor closing down.

14 minutes ago, MiguelAngel22 said:

There's this bizarre disconnect I keep seeing with posts like this. The reason anyone gets charged these fees is they are about to receive many times the amount of the fee as cash in their pocket. If the fees were something they would have to pay whether or not they were making money it would be a different thing, but it isn't, and a major reason that the fees were increased is that land cost, which is an actual recurring fixed expense, has been reduced.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

There's this bizarre disconnect I keep seeing with posts like this. The reason anyone gets charged these fees is they are about to receive many times the amount of the fee as cash in their pocket. If the fees were something they would have to pay whether or not they were making money it would be a different thing, but it isn't, and a major reason that the fees were increased is that land cost, which is an actual recurring fixed expense, has been reduced.

I believe it is referred to as the "cost of business" just like in the real world. There is the old adage of "spending money to make money". All we can do is shake our heads and presume entitlement attitudes; "I expect everything for nothing in return."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

This is pretty sound reasoning, I think? Although I am pretty sure that the fees are likely to drive at least some people out of business, either because the cost/benefit ratio of them doing business is already on edge, or out of some sense of (probably) misplaced resentment.

The key point, for me, is the bit of highlighted. These fees are not a money-grab. They reflect, I'm sure, and at least in part, a need by LL to rethink their financial model, but in that light, they need also to be seen in the larger context of other moves they've made. The reduction of land cost is really important, because, in combination with other moves, it will help lure merchants back on to the grid, instead of relying solely on the MP. And that, I think, is both a wise move, and one that will benefit us all.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1754 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.