Clothes not showing over skin

princealexis26

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1729 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Today I got a skin which is lovely. I know how to play with the alpha hud to remove body parts that stick out of my clothing, ect. But those 'painted on' clothes, the standard ones will not show up over my skin alpha layer. If I remove that, my avatar becomes blotchy and ugly, so I keep it on but I can't wear clothes, unless they're the detatchable kind. Any help?

6 answers to this question

7 hours ago, princealexis26 said:

Today I got a skin which is lovely. I know how to play with the alpha hud to remove body parts that stick out of my clothing, ect. But those 'painted on' clothes, the standard ones will not show up over my skin alpha layer. If I remove that, my avatar becomes blotchy and ugly, so I keep it on but I can't wear clothes, unless they're the detatchable kind. Any help?

Quality mesh bodies will usually have four layers, the skin is put onto the bottom (inner-most) layer and applied tattoos and clothing are then applied to the outer layers. You do not specify which mesh body you are using and so it sounds like your skin was applied to an outer (or otherwise wrong) layer, or there is only one layer and the underside is the system avatar showing through when you hide it (in the case of not wearing a body-alpha system clothing).

This is a very simplified description. Before any further help can be offered by myself or others, we really need to know the brand of mesh body you are having difficulty with. It may be a mesh body that does not have layers (they do exist) and so on. If it's one of the more popular brand names then someone better experienced with that brand will be able to help you find the cause and fix it.

A classic skin is a texture that gets put on your classic avatar body with the Wear command.  It has the inventory symbol of a...er, skin.  These skins have no effect on mesh bodies or body parts.

Mesh bodies and body parts use an "applier" to put on a skin texture.  An applier is a small HUD that, well, applies the skin texture to the mesh body.  Appliers have the inventory symbol of an object...a little cube.

Many skin creators offer appliers as well, so you can apply the skin texture to many popular mesh bodies, heads, and other parts.

Layer style clothing works the same way.  Clothing layers are worn on the classic avatar body.  However, they don't show up on any mesh body parts.  Some layer-type clothes come with appliers to let you wear them on your mesh body.

A new capability, "Bakes on Mesh" is in the works.  This will allow us to wear layers originally made for the classic body on mesh body parts, without a specific applier.  However, like a lot of new capabilities, it seems to be hung up in development...

2 hours ago, princealexis26 said:

This helps a lot so we can understand things. Based on the description of that avatar, it looks like a well-made product and it has at least three layers (Skin, tattoo and clothing).

It sounds like @Lindal Kidd is describing your scenario. I will explain what is happening, based on what you say in your Original Post and what Lindal is describing:

When you wear the mesh body, you have to hide the original "system" avatar. This is done with an Alpha shirt, which is just an invisible system shirt (it's a transparent texture. This makes your system avatar invisible so only the mesh body is seen. You can wear attachable clothing and you can wear "applied" clothing - texture clothing that is applied to your mesh body, usually with an applier (Omega Applier system is common, for example).

It sounds like you are describing system clothes ("regular clothes) - they look like a shirt or pants in your inventory. Those are designed for the system avatar. The reason you cannot see them when you wear them is that your avatar is hidden by the Alpha shirt you are wearing. To see those clothes, you must remove the alpha shirt. Even then, you cannot see them very we all because you are wearing the mesh body, so you must detach the mesh body. 

To see system clothes, you must take off the Alpha shirt and also remove the mesh body. Then you will see the "regular" clothes. This is what avatars looked like and how we dressed before mesh bodies were introduced in SL.

For clothing that works with your mesh body, you'll have to rely on mesh (attachable) clothing or applied clothes that are put on using an applier HUD. Read the documentation that came with your body about how to use any applier (and whether it is Omega compatible).

Good luck!

1 hour ago, princealexis26 said:

So now most or all new clothes are being made to a mesh system?

Yes.  There's hardly any market for clothing designed for the system avatar.  Until the Baked On Mesh project is finally released -- whenever that happens -- those old system clothes are essentially useless.  With Baked On Mesh, some of them may become useful once again, to the extent that they can be applied to mesh bodies without looking dated or totally stupid.  Even then, I doubt that many creators will step back to creating clothes for the standard avatar body.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1729 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.