Land suggestions for the Lab

Imagin Illyar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1762 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I’d like to see the Lab increase the value of land rather than reduce the price.  After 11 years of developing SL land here are my suggestions:

1. A finer mesh for the terrain itself to allow for more detailed terraforming
2. Allow bake terrain for an individual parcel so that revert tool can be used – enabled/disabled at the Region level
3. Allow terrain texture change for an individual parcel – enabled/disabled at the Region level
4. This is the really big one – paint on terrain – a tool that works like a brush to paint a texture directly onto the terrain. The brush would have faded edges so that textures would naturally blend.

Implement that and you’ll generate a lot more interest in owning land.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Imagin Illyar said:

4. This is the really big one – paint on terrain – a tool that works like a brush to paint a texture directly onto the terrain. The brush would have faded edges so that textures would naturally blend.

Implement that and you’ll generate a lot more interest in owning land.

Implement that and you will see "boy bits" drawn on the land all over SL. And SL does not have enough "boy bits" yet!

Edited by Fritigern Gothly
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Imagin Illyar said:

you’ll generate a lot more interest in owning land.

based statement on what source?
tbh it terrifies me... imagine they will do it, but all regions have to be reset to original settings, all landscaping lost..... i hear riots and armies marching to Batterystreet to lynch a few people...

Fritigern Gothly - The safety net is having everything toggled off and on at the Region level.  This prevents abuse but still allows for enhanced creativity.

Fox Wijaya - based on my 11 years of experience developing land in SL.  What kind of "source" did you expect for a suggestion that hasn't been implemented? 

1 hour ago, Imagin Illyar said:

An in-world paint or draw system would be very useful. Not just for land, but for textures in general. Something about like Pinta, which is a very basic open source paint program.

One nice thing about an in-world paint program is that you could allow painting on mod textures that you can't download. So you could put lettering on a shirt, for example, without the creator of the shirt giving up creatorship of the texture.

31 minutes ago, Imagin Illyar said:

Fox Wijaya - based on my 11 years of experience developing land in SL.  What kind of "source" did you expect for a suggestion that hasn't been implemented? 

perhaps start with explaining why you think your 11 years is more reason to be a source as my 12.5 yrs to state the opposite?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Imagin Illyar said:

I should have known better than to start this post.  I'm abandoning it rather than argue.  Have fun people.

I like the post .

I think all water should be sail able, as in land goes to a beach/ocean if your sim does not join another but the water is there the water can be used, imagine sailing SL properly imagine ferry services instead of just tping, to really explore SL . As long as you are on some kind of linden approved vehicle you exist in that space, if you fall off or stand up or something rule worthy you are teleported to a hub, not trying to abuse the land boundaries but it would be pretty amazing. 

Weather, in built weather systems, that gave us rain, snow, heat etc. SL is a magical place but landing somewhere where you have to wait for the grey prims to rez to realise that it is snowing or raining is just :( but when it does rez in it is divine and with materials now, the idea of wet streets and water running down walls, snow piles and all of that, so much joy.

I would like the land texture to not repeat... if you want to make a texture hair roads and grass to dirt to water landscaping etc it will all go on as created, not have to try and stack the land to get sand coming up through grass or having the same texture repeat so much it hurts from space :) 

I would like to be able to choose who can come and go from a region with vip kind of status as in always able to tp no matter if full, but without having to give them Estate rights. 

I would like instances like some games where you can go to another version of the same thing but less people, up to so many instances so that events could happen and more people experience them, imagine someone coming in to give a talk or a performance and be able to reach hundreds at once not only 50 without people dying of lag. I know someone being on all the instances at once would be trickier but eh this is a my dream suggestion :P

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 9:07 PM, Imagin Illyar said:

1. A finer mesh for the terrain itself to allow for more detailed terraforming

The resolution of the ground mesh is actually very high already: a vertice for every meter - that is 131,072 triangles for a whole sim! I don't really see any need for a "finer" mesh than that.

The real problem is that we don't have enough control. There's no obvious reason why SL couldn't have tools for precise terraforming right from the start, it's just that LL never thought of it. Unofortunately, by now the ground code is probably so deeply buried in the software it upgrading it would be a huge task.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1762 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.