New land prices = cheaper or more expensive options?

crypticzynergy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1787 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Premium membership is going up in price to $99 annual, and receives 1024 sqm. (It was $72 annual & 512 sqm.) ...And then of course, there's the 2nd generation Linden homes that are coming out...  using the land fees calculator was starting to confuse me, especially when you throw in the "group-owned land" bonus...

I currently have 1 premium acct with 5120 sqm mainland, which maxes out my tier at $22 a month. I don't have a linden home but might consider one, once the 2nd gen ones are available again, but anyways -- I digress...

Which option would cost less USD $ overall:

1. 1 premium acct at $99 annual, with maxed out 5120 sqm at $22 monthly tier. (This is my current situation.)

2. 2 premium accts at $198 total annual, with the 5120 sqm split between the two (2560 sqm each) -- which falls under the $13 monthly tier each, and then throw in the group-owned land bonus on top. (Does this mean more sqm, more prims, or less tier?)

3. Say screw it -- get rid of the 5120 sqm, get 2 premium accts, and get two 2nd gen linden homes (1 for each acct). 

4.Or some other inexpensive alternative that isn't covered in the above...?

The best value  STILL is to have four premium avatars go together on the 4096 which when they are all donating to the same group gives a bonus that can sometimes be useful.  This group is most often made up of alts of one typist but can be friends (real life is best).  I did the math on another thread  and don't quite remember but it seems like you save about half or $22 US overall.   Try doing those figures and you will see the difference. 

If you want BOTH mainland and linden home then of course you pay more than just your single premium account cost. My numbers were all done with the yearly charge.  In my case I have an alt donating to the group plot and I pay for my own Linden home on my account. 

• Thanks 1

The $99 is no coincidence, I run allowance alts myself and basically as a small land holder running alts even at $99/pa works better than paying tiers, but when you start going over 65536 Sam the cost efficiency drops drastically, the intention seems to be in encourage fixed cost for large land holders so you don't have land groups that can literally sit on land to keep them occupied for eons 

Tldr : the chchange doesn't affect small scale landowners much. 

9 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

The best value  STILL is to have four premium avatars go together on the 4096 which when they are all donating to the same group gives a bonus that can sometimes be useful.  This group is most often made up of alts of one typist but can be friends (real life is best).  I did the math on another thread  and don't quite remember but it seems like you save about half or $22 US overall.   Try doing those figures and you will see the difference. 

If you want BOTH mainland and linden home then of course you pay more than just your single premium account cost. My numbers were all done with the yearly charge.  In my case I have an alt donating to the group plot and I pay for my own Linden home on my account. 

I'm not following your logic here about the "best value is still four premium avatars". 

Currently, you pay $22 for the 4096 tier level on one account, so that would be 5,632 m if grouped, including the 1024 "free" tier and the 10% group bonus.

So why would it be rational to put 4 accounts together, even if annualized, that's $24 currently ($6 per month) for 4096 m, and also 5,632 meters. But only if you sold all the stipends ($300 x 4 = $1200) to recoup about US$4.50 would you pay less than a single account, or $19.50, assuming you get favorable exchange rates. But that $300 a week can get eaten up in search/places fees if you run a rentals, or texture uploads, or odd things -- and better to use that $300 for inworld expenses than buy it at a less favorable rate (I think).

I have been trying to figure if I can beat this new price hike by shedding some of my alts that I have long had to hold together groups. Remember "officer recall"? That's why I had them, Then once they were the owners of groups, with buildings and props, etc. it was a chore to re-do all that, especially if any of it was not transferable. Even so, I have shed some of these "anti-officer-recall" alts over the years, and I was thinking now that with the tier jump from 7 to 7.25 sims (they don't have that quarter hop below that level) on one account, maybe I could wipe out 16,384 on say 2 or 3 alts used to manage the lack of lower tier steps. The difference between the tier for 7 and 7.25 is only $44.  

To be sure, I'd then lose the 2048 "free" tier from those alts. But that tier isn't free. It will cost the monthly fee -- that doesn't seem the most rational way to buy tier, if you are above a sim level. Why spend $99 x 2 = $198 per year to keep 2048 going when you could either sell land, or in my case, find some new tier donors/tenants, or try to reconfigure the tier such that it goes up to the next step without leaving me with a lot left over. It's a puzzle, but I will try to work it. 

Keeping multiple alts now for the sake of groups doesn't seem rational -- if we now have more groups. BTW, the whole reason I have to have multiple groups is because they get too laggy and unworkable beyond about 500 or really even 250 people when they have land and different roles in them. Add to the premium hike the new doubling of the cashout, and something has to go -- the lower tier doesn't make up for it, as far as I estimate but I literally have to sit down with a slide ruler or something...

UPDATE: PS Oh! I just realized I forget to add the cost of the premium to the sole account with the 4096. So that's actually $26. OK. So the 4 alts are cheaper still with the new rates? I am nervous by the thought of all those mouths to feed.

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

But only if you sold all the stipends ($300 x 4 = $1200) to recoup about US$4.50 would you pay less than a single account, or $19.50, assuming you get favorable exchange rates.

Yes -- more or less.

There are actually 4.33 ish weeks in a month or 52 in a year so counting as 48 will not be correct. 

So that makes the OLD rate about 1.25 per avatar per month assuming saving lindens (mentioned oh so many times in these forum threads in LAND)   and using LINDENS to pay for the next year's membership (as well as the following years).  Even with the new rate it is much less expensive if you don't use your stipend. I did all the math as stated back a few weeks ago. Others have agreed. I am not going to do it again LOL.

I suggest you do your calculations on a YEARLY .   What you do for ADVERTISING doesn't figure in at all with tier.  I do advertise for my shop in Places  but that is all. As I remember all your renters (and you have a lot) pay into group liabilities. If that is still in effect, then you need to add that in IF you add in the advertising (which again, I don't think makes sense).

I didn't read your whole post so I certainly may have missed something, but that is what "I" was trying to say. 

1 minute ago, Chic Aeon said:

Yes -- more or less.

There are actually 4.33 ish weeks in a month or 52 in a year so counting as 48 will not be correct. 

So that makes the OLD rate about 1.25 per avatar per month assuming saving lindens (mentioned oh so many times in these forum threads in LAND)   and using LINDENS to pay for the next year's membership (as well as the following years).  Even with the new rate it is much less expensive if you don't use your stipend. I did all the math as stated back a few weeks ago. Others have agreed. I am not going to do it again LOL.

I suggest you do your calculations on a YEARLY .   What you do for ADVERTISING doesn't figure in at all with tier.  I do advertise for my shop in Places  but that is all. As I remember all your renters (and you have a lot) pay into group liabilities. If that is still in effect, then you need to add that in IF you add in the advertising (which again, I don't think makes sense).

I didn't read your whole post so I certainly may have missed something, but that is what "I" was trying to say. 

Well, I will have to go back and read how you did your math, but more importantly, I need to do my own math with their new tables. My renters pay SOME group liabilities, but it is only 2L or 3L -- anything else I have to pay. Of course you have to figure the cost of advertising into a business expense list, but I hear you that regarding tier as such it's not relevant. I have hundreds of those 30L adds because the search/places list serves as a constantly accessible vacancy list. So I am paying thousands in group liabilities. That's why I decided to have tenants pay 2L as part of rent rather than raise rents, especially because I return them the cancellation fee if they move to another one of my rentals, and a lot of them do that for variety.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1787 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.