Any news on invisiprims and ALM?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I want to make a small boat that does not leak water.

Unfortunately, I can't make a hole in the water using an invisiprim anymore because invisiprims don't work with the Advanced Lighting Model anymore. By Googling around a bit for more info on the matter, I stumbled upon an old blog post by Inara Pey from 2016:

Asked during the Simulator User Group meeting on Tuesday, March 29th, if the Lab had reached a decision on adopting the fix, Simon Linden said, “We were talking about it earlier … nobody wants to do anything to break content; so we have the hole-in-the-water use, which is nice for boats and such.”

Oz Linden then added, “We’re going to do some testing of alternatives… so I guess the answer is that we don’t have a final decision yet.”

(Source: https://modemworld.me/2016/03/30/sl-project-updates-16-131-aditi-inventory-invisiprims/)

Does anyone know about anything about potential progress on these tests or whether decisions had been made by Linden Lab? It'd sure be nice to have small boats with no water on the floor and dry docks and other holes in the water again, like in the old days.

That was an ancient post and to all intents and purposes the invisiprim is dead and never expected to return. I completely agree that the use case in water in particular is well  justified but having asked many times about this the answer is always "no, invisiprims are an abomination" so I would not expect to see it return.  I am happy to lobby again and see what the answer is.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

Even in the heyday of invisiprims, folks wanted better.

The idea of that was nice. Impossible in practical terms but nice.I live underwater and have a moonpool entrance to my home, the entire illusion works only because of the way that the shaders work today, your mind able to exclude the water "fog" over short distances so you get the illusion that the space is filled with air. I suspect that with EEP that will be challenged and I'll have to rethink or have a custom setting.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1786 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.