How to I configure my keys and make the game fullscreen without its title bar in 64-bit W7 HPE SP1?

antd00d

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1795 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

15 answers to this question

There is a page on the wiki about reconfiguring keys, this should work on all viewers. Although unless you have a really special use case it might be as well to leave them alone.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Keyboard_mapping

I know (because I'm involved with it's development) Catznip viewer has a fullscreen windowed mode (mapped to alt+enter).

I couldn't find a similar option in firestorm (but that doesn't mean it isn't there), It's not in the stock Linden viewer .. I don't have any others installed to check with.

Try CTRL + Alt + F1.  Just be careful.  Once you have hidden the User Interface, the only way to get it back is to toggle with CTRL + Alt + F1 again.  You obviously will not be able to access the user interface at all while it is hidden.

ok I have found it in firestorm .. but it's requires a relog to make it work, so no flipping back and forth on the fly.

Key bindings are what they are, all the viewers kinda stick to the defaults and you will have an easier time getting support if you don't change them, quite often if you have a specific question, the solution will start with a keybind.

14 minutes ago, antd00d said:

I am surprised the official viewer doesn't have it.

it does. Its just hidden away. Full screen on LL standard viewer

menu Advanced \ Debug Settings

Debug Settings: fullScreen = True

restart the viewer

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, antd00d said:

I wonder why it is hidden in there. Do people really like seeing the title bar and Windows' statictask bar? ;)

it is about LL surfacing the most commonly used functions in the standard viewer yes. Nearly 16 years of user data tells them what we use most commonly

also a lot of people multitask SL. Running mesh/texture/animation/etc editing tools.  DJ soundcast, photography and video editors and so on. FB, Flicker, Discord, forums and blogs also. Others run multiple instances of viewers as well. Bots, alts, test accounts, etc

10 hours ago, Mollymews said:

restart the viewer

So it does .. but again .. it's the same 'requires a relog' so unless you know that it just appears broken.

2 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

So it does .. but again .. it's the same 'requires a relog' so unless you know that it just appears broken.

i  agree with the it just appears broken, and that we just have to know. The we just have to know is a pain as well

6 hours ago, Mollymews said:

i  agree with the it just appears broken, and that we just have to know. The we just have to know is a pain as well

LL goes to considerable trouble to see that the viewer has a balance...flexible enough for most people, but with settings that are seldom used or only needed in special circumstances hidden away.  This keeps down the number of support requests from people who messed up their viewer playing with things that they shouldn't have.

If you REALLY want to learn all the hidden features of the viewer, you can.  Put the Advanced and Developer menus on your top menu bar and experiment with the settings.  Open Advanced/Show Debug and play with those, too.

Some third party viewers, like Firestorm, opt for giving the user more options right in the interface, rather than hidden away.  Some TPV features are even unique, and are not found anywhere in the stock viewer.

You have a lot of choice when it comes to how you want to experience and control your Second Life.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

If you REALLY want to learn all the hidden features of the viewer, you can.  Put the Advanced and Developer menus on your top menu bar and experiment with the settings.  Open Advanced/Show Debug and play with those, too.

i add on to this as a fyi for anyone reading who might be interested in experimentation

there is a explanatory list of the debug settings here: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Debug_Settings

edit for clarification:  my main point in agreeing with Coffee is that there is no visual feedback when changing the fullScreen setting. And its not documented that this requires a viewer restart. Because so then we just have to work it out ourselves

Edited by Mollymews
clarify

Fullscreen's ctl+alt+f1 didn't make my game window's title bar go away. Also, my W7's taskbar still showed up if I don't use its autohide option. I attached a screen shot/capture of it in action from my official Second Life viewer (not using a third party yet).

maximized2l.png

12 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

Additional functionality is why third party viewers exist.

I would stick to viewers on this page http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

As I mentioned, the only viewer I am aware of that does what you want is Catznip ... because we made it do that.

Thanks. I am surprised the official viewer doesn't have it. Also, difficult to bind keys. :(

1 hour ago, Mollymews said:

restart the viewer

Perfect and thanks. I wonder why it is hidden in there. Do people really like seeing the title bar and Windows' statictask bar? ;)

I

11 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

it is about LL surfacing the most commonly used functions in the standard viewer yes. Nearly 16 years of user data tells them what we use most commonly

also a lot of people multitask SL. Running mesh/texture/animation/etc editing tools.  DJ soundcast, photography and video editors and so on. FB, Flicker, Discord, forums and blogs also. Others run multiple instances of viewers as well. Bots, alts, test accounts, etc

Interesting. It seems a little smoother in fullscreen, instead of maximized, for my decade old PC.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1795 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.