warning for buying outside Linden labs

AndreaHope

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

A month ago i bought second life  money from an Ebay seller.. i received the money and all was well being the 1st time I've bought them.. i live in the UK.

a few days later i get a warning for not buying them from Linden labs and if i kept doing this I'd lose my account. I've been feeling abit worried about buying them again anywhere outside of Linden labs.

i don't want to use skrill and I've also never bought anything thats not in British pounds before.

I've been asking a few ebay sellers if any of their buyers have had this problem and they all said  No.

I'm feeling curious to why i got this warning but not anyone else.

11 answers to this question

Andrea, there are no longer any authorized places to buy or sell $L EXCEPT the official LL Linden Exchange.  LL made this change because of laws regarding virtual currencies that were passed in the USA several years ago.

Third party exchanges like VirWox no longer deal in $L.  The only "outside" source I am aware of is eBay...and I believe that most, if not all, $L sellers on eBay are scammers.  If you buy $L there, you will either not receive them at all, or you will be buying $L that were purchased fraudulently.

LL is so determined to work within the existing laws that they have even banned avatars who were simply given an unsolicited gift of fraudulent $L.  People should be very suspicious of large, unexpected "gifts" from strangers (by "large", I mean $L10,000 or more).

You were extraordinarily fortunate to have only been given a warning.  Open a PayPal account (I don't recommend Skrill), get it verified, and use it to buy your $L.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kardargo Adamczyk said:

They do not know you bought them from eBay, they however do know what account send you the lindens, those accounts are flagged due to suspicious activity's, most likely you bought lindens stolen from hacked accounts through phishing websites.

thats another good point. one ebay seller said that person could be working for Linden labs and it was a trap.

• Confused 3

35 minutes ago, Kardargo Adamczyk said:

They do not know you bought them from eBay, they however do know what account send you the lindens, those accounts are flagged due to suspicious activity's, most likely you bought lindens stolen from hacked accounts through phishing websites.

Great answer.

• Like 1

Since the Terms of Service (which you "signed" in order to use the SL platform) specifically bans money purchases from outside sellers --- AND you got  a warning, thinking about buying illegally again is very dangerous. You will most likely lose your account next time.  Either use a legal method of buying lindens or decide to do the "money free" version of Second Life. There are many folks who never buy lindens. 

And there are jobs that you can get to earn money. Another alternative. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AndreaHope said:

I've been asking a few ebay sellers if any of their buyers have had this problem and they all said  No.

I'm feeling curious to why i got this warning but not anyone else.

you agreed to the TOS or you wouldn have a account in SL, and you agreed to the rule not to buy illegal game tokens.
Asking the thief is he's a thief?... no of course he won't tell you.. rule is simple: don't.
Dont worry about being the only one, there are many.

2 hours ago, AndreaHope said:

but how did they know i bought them off ebay?

not very likely they'r gonna tell you

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.