Charge for a DEMO?

Reggie Warrhol

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1807 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, halebore Aeon said:

I honestly don't like demos cluttering up my redelivery page in Casper or any other vending system. If you want a demo for your alt so bad, get on the alt, and go get it. Charging any amount of money, for something, with demo plastered all over it, with no textures on the demo, is absolutely absurd. It's like the whole, having to pay 1-10L for a gift from a store. Kinda seems stingy to me.

Ain't no "kinda" - just admit that you find it stingy and embrace your position. Nothing wrong with that. I charge L$1 for my demos for the reasons I've stated and just as you can speak only for yourself, I can speak only for myself. But if (generalizing now) you lump me in with such a wide brush paints all who charge L$ for a demo are stingy, then I am stingy, but only in your closed mind.

And you know what? I see nothing wrong with that either. People are treating this as a debate. The purpose of a debate is to influence the audience by trying to change your opponent's mind, What turns a debate into an argument is when people keep saying the same things over and over and over., perhaps expecting a different result and we all know which word that defines.

Pick your principles and stick to them. (Back to quoted comment) Though I very much disagree with your position, I also very much respect you for sticking to it. As for the specific comment of yours that I quote: I know your specific example is just that: an example and there is no black and white, there is always a lot of gray in subjects like these.

Edited by Alyona Su

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

Ain't no "kinda" - just admit that you find it stingy and embrace your position. Nothing wrong with that. I charge L$1 for my demos for the reasons I've stated and just as you can speak only for yourself, I can speak only for myself. But if (generalizing now) you lump me in with such a wide brush paints all who charge L$ for a demo are stingy, then I am stingy, but only in your closed mind.

And you know what? I see nothing wrong with that either. People are treating this as a debate. The purpose of a debate is to influence the audience by trying to change your opponent's mind, What turns a debate into an argument is when people keep saying the same things over and over and over., perhaps expecting a different result and we all know which word that defines.

Pick your principles and stick to them. (Back to quoted comment) Though I very much disagree with your position, I also very much respect you for sticking to it. As for the specific comment of yours that I quote: I know your specific example is just that: an example and there is no black and white, there is always a lot of gray in subjects like these.

I just don't see a point. What are you charging 1L for a "demo" exactly? That makes no sense to me. Are you trying to make a little extra L, is it for redelivery purposes? What is it for exactly. I know there are tonnes of reasons as to why someone would charge, anywhere from 1-10L for a demo. However, I just don't see the logic in it. Could you maybe explain to me why this is?

1 hour ago, halebore Aeon said:

I just don't see a point. What are you charging 1L for a "demo" exactly? That makes no sense to me. Are you trying to make a little extra L, is it for redelivery purposes? What is it for exactly. I know there are tonnes of reasons as to why someone would charge, anywhere from 1-10L for a demo. However, I just don't see the logic in it. Could you maybe explain to me why this is?

I've already explained the specific reasons why in a post above. It doesn't have to make sense to you, as long as it makes sense to those who do take it. As the very wise statement goes: "You can please some of the peopple all of the time and all of the people..." No need to repeat that which, I am ssure, you know well. The latter is a fool's erand.

Edited by Alyona Su

Another reason I've heard is "so you can skip the extra advertisement page when only buying 0 L$ worth of stuff."

But I don't think charging for a demo is justified if there's no way to get the cost back as the customer, unless it has no watermarks or extra attachments (but I would call these "samples" rather than just demos).

• Email spam? Make a folder and set up a rule/filter in your email to better organize your inbox.
  • Vendor comes pre-configured to charge a non-refundable 1 L$? Then change it, don't be lazy and think of the customer.
  • Redelivery reasons? You can get redeliveries on 0 L$ products. (I checked.)
  • Gifting to alts? (I have ~5 fully outfitted alts so I speak with experience.)
    • You can open a new incognito window in your browser (or use another browser entirely) and log in with your alt without needing to log out with your main account.
    • You can also run two viewers at the same time.
    • After logging in-world with your alt, the new demos will be in the "Recent" tab of your inventory, you won't have to search for the demos.
On 5/16/2019 at 6:28 PM, Alyona Su said:

If you are too cheap to spend L$1 for a demo then you will not buy the retail version anyway

This isn't true. I hover around 60(-/+ 10)K lindens most of the time, but I won't buy 1 L$ demos because I just won't support things I think are dumb and unnecessary (with few exceptions where I have little choice or even worse options). This ESPECIALLY applies to no-modify objects. I absolutely 100% will not cave in if the full product is no-modify (though I do buy no-mod items with free demos sometimes). For modifiable objects I have made some demo exceptions.

TLDR: I have no trouble paying for an expensive product if I can inspect it in-world for first -- at no cost to me.

Putting that aside, I'm also the kind of person who will easily buy 5-40 demos per shopping session because I get pretty inspired. If I imagine myself as someone who has to buy lindens (and in limited amounts), this would be a real issue. Again, 5L doesn't sound like much, but I shop pretty infrequently and have lots of free money to burn. If I was more addicted to shopping, had no in-world income, and poor financial situation.. even 1 L$ demos would make an impact over time.

4 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

X an alt logs into the SLM and sends Y hundreds of demos all day every day. X probably doesn't even need to log into the actual viewer ever, and with a bit of smarts can automate the entire mess. Would you like to receive hundreds of unsolicited demos a day, every day.

It would be almost impossible for LL to block X from using the SLM, the only solution would be to require PIOF before you can use the SLM.

You cannot send a gift to someone through the Marketplace if they have blocked you. You will get this error: "Could not find [name] in the Resident records. Make sure you are using the Resident's full SL name and not the display name. For help on finding the Second Life name, see the wiki"

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

1 hour ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

You cannot send a gift to someone through the Marketplace if they have blocked you. You will get this error: "Could not find [name] in the Resident records. Make sure you are using the Resident's full SL name and not the display name. For help on finding the Second Life name, see the wiki"

How do you block that alt account I make everynight just after you log for bed that auto sends you 300 **** demos overnight. There totally are people who roll a new account every couple days and have for years.

If you can solve a harassment problem with a block, you didn't have a harassment problem.

4 minutes ago, CoffeeDujour said:

How do you block that alt account I make everynight just after you log for bed that auto sends you 300 **** demos overnight. There totally are people who roll a new account every couple days and have for years.

Then that's not a problem you solve even by having LL block them from using MP.

It's a problem completely irrelevant (out of scope) for this conversation.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1807 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.