my laptop switches off

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1810 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Maybe it's warmer than before? Laptops are very sensitive to cooling, having such a tiny space into which the heat can dissipate, so a little dust accumulating on the fan and a few degrees warmer weather can cause them to shut down for thermal protection. (It's way worse if they fail to shutdown then! I've seen the molten guts of a laptop and it's not a pretty sight.)

• Like 1

Switching off happens when the computer is seriously overheated or underpowered.

A laptop that collected dust for 1-2 years is alot less effective in cooling it's components and the next summer will come for sure.

A laptop like this is permanently running on overload when playing SL and that reduces the lifetime of its components. If one of the voltage transformers on the mainboard is through that can result in switch offs.

"Yesterday it worked" - That's always the case if something breaks.

Ok, thats POSSIBILITIES - but take that into account. You could run a software that shows temperatures and see what happens. Will not show you the temperature of single internal components though. Cleaning the laptop may help or not and can be tricky depending on model.

Besides the temperature that has been mentioned, are you running it on battery or plugged in?

Even when it's new, it's not a good idea to run a laptop on battery while on SL, for several reasons but especially when with age your battery starts getting degraded.

If you are looking for a program to read temperatures, try "Open Hardware Monitor" I'm not gonna paste a link because I don't think these forums allow that, but look for the .org URL, and no place else.
It's free, it's light, doesn't need to be installed and it tells you a load of information about your system.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1810 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.