Specific Hair Styles Sought

KathyGables

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1829 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I graduated from high school in 1971. I am looking for female hairstyles of the period. Pretty hard to find styles other than modern and Victorian (for role-playing). Attached is a picture of what I am looking for. The two images on the left are me. The image on the right was my best friend's high school senior picture. She tragically passed a few years ago. I would like to give her a Second Life. Any help on where I might find the hairstyles in the picture below? I assume there are custom hair makers out there. Any recommendations?

trio.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KathyGables said:

I graduated from high school in 1971. I am looking for female hairstyles of the period. Pretty hard to find styles other than modern and Victorian (for role-playing). Attached is a picture of what I am looking for. The two images on the left are me. The image on the right was my best friend's high school senior picture. She tragically passed a few years ago. I would like to give her a Second Life. Any help on where I might find the hairstyles in the picture below? I assume there are custom hair makers out there. Any recommendations?

trio.png

I would first try Clawtooth by Bubbles Clawtooth, then also some DP YumYum or Tram, I would also try approaching someone like Bubbles, because not only is he very into retro styles he is a lovely person and your story is heartwarming, and he may be able to consider doing something along those lines in future. LeLutka also has a style similar to your friend but as an add on attachment with hairbase base.  Good luck and if I can think of others I will add.

Some of the older styles by Truth might fit the bill also.

I seem to recall seeing some of the bottom flips there. 

Try Doux , EMO-tions, Vanity Hair. I have some from each that are kind of retro in feel. 

I agree about Lelutka - they don't specialize in hair but the few they have a really nice, classic styles with a retro feel that might suit what you need.

FYI as far as I know there aren't creators that do custom hair. 

Sasy, Thanks so much. Bubbles sounds like the guy I need to talk to.

Elora, Thanks for your response. Truth has always been my first stop when shopping for hair. They have a few retros but I didn't find any that did a good job matching the hair in the pictures of me and my BFF. If these were just alts the ones I found would be good enough. But this is me and my BFF. But I appreciate your response is right on the mark if I wasn't being overly picky on these two.

Edited by KathyGables
  • Like 1

Hi Zeta, Thanks very much. I see what you are getting at and will check out the demos.

It's obvious that you spent a little time making those pix to show me. I'm impressed and appreciative. 

BTW, I love the dress you are wearing in #2. Can you tell me who the maker is?

Edited by KathyGables
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Elora Lunasea said:

11 hours ago, Elora Lunasea said:

FYI as far as I know there aren't creators that do custom hair. 

Sorry for the above post. I wanted to edit it but somehow posted it instead. I cannot delete it since it has been posted,

So I will continue with what I had intended to say to Elora...

Elora, you wrote "FYI as far as I know there aren't creators that do custom hair". 

My thought on that is "short of giving my first born child, anything is negotiable". I love my second born child but in a pinch...

EMO-tions have a couple that - while not exactly what you're looking for - do come close:

• Sandra (70s big wave, but the volume is a bit more 80s and it has a hairband)
  • Charlie (side-pinned bob)

You can also try Rezology, who have several retro styles - but make sure to demo those, as their styles can sit unnaturally high on the head (and, if rigged, they can't be edited down) and can sometimes be high-complexity.

Lastly, it's not mesh, but I recall that one of the additional old sculpted starter avatar hairstyles (now in the inventory library folder under [I think]  Accessories > More Hair, or something like that) was a shoulder-length, side-curled style very much like the one in your centre image.

It's a shame that Pocket Mirrors don't have much available in their MP store. They use to have a lot of retro hairstyles. You may also get more success if you widen your search to include 1960s hairstyles (albeit you'll then be scrolling through a lot of backcombed beehive 'dos). A lot of designers seem to create long, shaggy hair (more Woodstock hippie, in all honesty) when making 1970s hair, but - since your photos are from '71 - the 60s aesthetic was still around and influencing styles.

Sadly, so many of the styles that might have worked for this are very old, horribly-dated, high-complexity prim offerings from creators who thought that full-bright glowing hair textures should have been a thing... 9_9

Edited by Skell Dagger

15 hours ago, KathyGables said:

My thought on that is "short of giving my first born child, anything is negotiable". I love my second born child but in a pinch...

I truly laughed at this, especially the last porton.  Since you are new to the forums, I wasn't sure if you would see a "laugh" reaction on the post as a good thing (it can be used to indicate good and sarcastic laughter at something), so I decide to quote it and chuckle in a new post instead.

xD xD

I had often commented that unlike most folks my first born was definitely negotiable, especially when he was younger.  :D

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Skell Dagger said:

EMO-tions have a couple that - while not exactly what you're looking for - do come close:

• Sandra (70s big wave, but the volume is a bit more 80s and it has a hairband)
  • Charlie (side-pinned bob)

You can also try Rezology, who have several retro styles - but make sure to demo those, as their styles can sit unnaturally high on the head (and, if rigged, they can't be edited down) and can sometimes be high-complexity.

Lastly, it's not mesh, but I recall that one of the additional old sculpted starter avatar hairstyles (now in the inventory library folder under [I think]  Accessories > More Hair, or something like that) was a shoulder-length, side-curled style very much like the one in your centre image.

It's a shame that Pocket Mirrors don't have much available in their MP store. They use to have a lot of retro hairstyles. You may also get more success if you widen your search to include 1960s hairstyles (albeit you'll then be scrolling through a lot of backcombed beehive 'dos). A lot of designers seem to create long, shaggy hair (more Woodstock hippie, in all honesty) when making 1970s hair, but - since your photos are from '71 - the 60s aesthetic was still around and influencing styles.

Sadly, so many of the styles that might have worked for this are very old, horribly-dated, high-complexity prim offerings from creators who thought that full-bright glowing hair textures should have been a thing... 9_9

Thanks for the wealth of resources on retro hairstyles. I am always in need of those because I am emotionally stuck in the 60's and 70's.

DOUX Zoe is my perfect solution for #1 and it sounds like the starter hairstyle is going to be my answer for #2. Interesting that no one has suggested a solution for #3. I thought that would be an easy one to find in the discount/retro areas. I guess not.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I truly laughed at this, especially the last porton.  Since you are new to the forums, I wasn't sure if you would see a "laugh" reaction on the post as a good thing (it can be used to indicate good and sarcastic laughter at something), so I decide to quote it and chuckle in a new post instead.

xD xD

I had often commented that unlike most folks my first born was definitely negotiable, especially when he was younger.  :D

Well, Kathy is my alt. My main avatar is 13 years old in SL so I have been around the block more than a few times. I love Kathy. She is much more centered on my present life than my main character who is based on an interesting person from a century ago. 😉👍

Edited by KathyGables
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1829 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.