Issues with Support

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1840 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I don't even know where to post this, but I need to put it somewhere so here it is.

I recently had a very strange interaction with a Linden in-world.  I have been in SL since May of 2006 and have never heard of a Linden sending a resident a notecard as communication, and yet I got one.  It more or less said my items were too heavily scripted for use in that area.  Seemed strange to me, as I had come from an area with more scripts and never had a complaint from anyone.  The most heavily scripted items I have are maybe a dozen breedables and some Funsies kids.  There are things like huge breedable farms and clubs and things that are super heavily scripted and have been around forever, so obviously not causing lag issues big enough for Lindens to get involved, so why suddenly is my little grouping an issue?  At the same time, everything on that entire sim (not just my plot) seems to have gone phantom, even though it is all not marked that way in the items' properties.  Super weird.

I asked around to my other old school friends (everyone 10+ years old), and none of us had ever heard of the notecard communication thing.  It's always been IM or email from any Linden.  This specific Linden also had some things in their profile that seemed.....strange.  So, because it all seemed very odd to me, I put in a help ticket regarding the situation.  I also reported that Linden in case it was some kind of account hack on their end or (though I really doubted it) abuse of power from that Linden.  I felt weird about it, but I figured worst case scenario whoever reviewed it would roll their eyes at me but still investigate.

That was last night.  Today I decided to check in on the support ticket, and the person I reported/got the notecard from is actually the person reviewing it.  That seems REALLY strange to me, and kinda inappropriate.  I absolutely get if I am in violation somewhere and I will take responsibility for it, but just this whole interaction (and especially the issue with the phantom sim) seems bizarre.  I tried calling any line I could find for additional help, but I couldn't even get through on the billing line.

I am posting here because I want to request independent evaluation of the situation.  I couldn't get through any other way, and I don't know what else to do.  Again, if this is solely due to the lag my objects are creating, I will absolutely work to fix that.  But I want there to be some cut and dry evidence and real communication.  And, yknow, I'd kinda like to be able to use my land sometime soon, and I am sure my neighbors would as well.

• Like 2

Are you sure the notecard was passed to you from a Linden account?
There are plenty of full perm notecards created by Lindens floating about & it's not that unusual for a Resident to edit one of those & pass it to someone else so the notecard creator still shows as a Linden.

Look in your transaction history at https://accounts.secondlife.com/transaction_history/ to see which account passed you the notecard.  Make sure "Show L$0 transactions" is ticked.

If your region is on mainland, It may be that a Linden has disabled physics on the region because of a griefing attack or performance issues, in which case they may have sent a general notecard to all parcel owners on that region explaining why they disabled physics.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had already looked at transaction history, it was from a Linden.  Also her text was blue in her communication with me (which repeated the notecard).

It is mainland, and none of us got notecards about physics in the region, we were all pretty baffled.  At least one neighbor also put in a ticket about the physics and they were turned back on pretty quickly after she did.  I don't know if any other neighbors tried, but one ended up selling their land in the meantime.

• Thanks 1

On 4/24/2019 at 10:29 PM, Adrianna McArdle said:

The most heavily scripted items I have are maybe a dozen breedables and some Funsies kids.  There are things like huge breedable farms and clubs and things that are super heavily scripted and have been around forever

There is two issues here I want to adress.

1) Lindens only check out those lag causers who are reported or stumbled upon by chance. Just because they have been there forever doesn't mean they don't necessarily cause lag, it simply just means Lindens have received no reports about those. So please don't use the 'but they do it, too!' excuse when it comes to SL. It's simply not applicable. (And it certainly isn't in RL either unless you're a four year old.)

2) It depends what breedables someone has. The ozimals were notorious for causing crazy lag and in turn gave all breedables a bad name. At one point I had 80 meeroo that I set to only move and make noise when someone was around, otherwise they would go to sleep. Due to them not being script heavy there was no lag issues. If I had tried that with 80 ozimals I would have brought the sim to its knees in short order. Hell, the sim would have died so hard it would have deleted itself entirely from the grid.

So do not make the mistake of thinking all breedables, babies, whathave you are causing lag when kept in large numbers. It's not always the cause and sometimes something held in very small numbers can cause nasty lag!

19 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Anything scripted causes lag. It's the degree of lag that is important. Two scripts can have the exact same functions but one causes a great deal more lag than the other. Why? It's all in how they were coded. Extremely well written scripts cause negligible lag.

I didn't mention that as I assumed it was a given and implied by what I wrote but thank you for spelling it out for those who won't catch that.

• Like 1

The "they do it too" (not even phrased that way) was mentioned because I'd assume the large areas with mostly scripted items would be reported/noticed before my quarter sim parcel with a fraction of the (same) scripted items.  I lived on a fairly high trafficked water and road adjacent lot previously too, where now I live on a sim edge, so it seems less likely that it would be stumbled upon/reported.

I also said I would take responsibility if they could show me it was my parcel specifically.  I was given no frame of reference, yet the note mentioned an ongoing issue.  I had been there just a few days and hadn't even had the objects all moved over in that time.  Also worth noting, these brands of breedables and babies have a good history as far as scripting and lag as well.  That's something that mattered to me when purchasing them.  I realize that certain brands can cripple a sim, which is why I stayed away from those.

But again, the larger point was that I was given no frame of reference and the communication style was odd.  I'm not looking for a free pass if there is in fact a real issue.  I'm just looking for more information, better communication, and proof that nothing shady is going on.

Edited by Adrianna McArdle
Added a word for context

3 hours ago, Adrianna McArdle said:

the larger point was that I was given no frame of reference and the communication style was odd.  I'm not looking for a free pass if there is in fact a real issue.  I'm just looking for more information, better communication, and proof that nothing shady is going on.

I think it's pretty certain nothing shady is going on other than the other two things. It is good business practices to be more forth coming with information in these kinds of situations, otherwise, how else are people going to learn? Communicating via notecards isn't a good business practice as a form of communication. I can see why it may have been done though. People are likely to get a notecard sooner than they would see an email if they are a typical resident that spends 2 - 4 hours a day in SL.

Excuse me, please, while I inform this silly spellchecker that in SL, "notecard" IS one word.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1840 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.