Extremely bad fps.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My second life is under 12fps 90% of the time. Why is this? This is hurting my experience and I've tried most things that should be common like bandwidth, reducing graphics which still stay at 12 even when on lowest graphics? Everyone that I have talk to with similar specs are ranging from 30fps in the same areas that are not as population dense. Would be happy if someone knows what to do? Specs: AMD-FX(tm)-8350 Eight-core Processor 4.00 GHz
amd (tm) r9 390 8gb 4 x 4gb 1600mhz dimm 1 x 8gb Hyper fury 1600

Edited by Certify

7 hours ago, Certify said:

My second life is under 12fps 90% of the time. Why is this? This is hurting my experience and I've tried most things that should be common like bandwidth, reducing graphics which still stay at 12 even when on lowest graphics? Everyone that I have talk to with similar specs are ranging from 30fps in the same areas that are not as population dense. Would be happy if someone knows what to do? Specs: AMD-FX(tm)-8350 Eight-core Processor 4.00 GHz
amd (tm) r9 390 8gb 4 x 4gb 1600mhz dimm 1 x 8gb Hyper fury 1600

Don't use lowest graphics. It's designed for the oldest and weakest graphics systems and turns off settings that are necessary for more modern/powerful graphics systems to operate well.

6 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Don't use lowest graphics. It's designed for the oldest and weakest graphics systems and turns off settings that are necessary for more modern/powerful graphics systems to operate well.

The slightly more on depth explanation of this is that some lighting settings offload from the CPU to the gpu. Basic shaders are a gpu bound task and without that enabled, the CPU takes over most surface lighting rendering. 

15 hours ago, Certify said:

My second life is under 12fps 90% of the time. Why is this? 

Draw distance. Drop it to minimum ( 32m ) using quick prefs. What a dif ! If you sail or fly though .... you'll want to slide it up again 

Edited by rasterscan

1 hour ago, cykarushb said:

The slightly more on depth explanation of this is that some lighting settings offload from the CPU to the gpu. Basic shaders are a gpu bound task and without that enabled, the CPU takes over most surface lighting rendering. 

22 minutes ago, rasterscan said:

Draw distance. Drop it to minimum ( 32m ) using quick prefs. What a dif ! If you sail or fly though .... you'll want to slide it up again 

3 minutes ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Same topic on reddit.  well, This will get you more help.  Cy is here. Cy knows stuffs.

I am very appreciative of the help. The thing is I am confused if its due to the stability of the fx cores as they use 8 minor ones, or it could be instability as I have an ATI. But honestly I should be hitting at the very least 30fps in less dense areas. My Asus RX570 OC Strix 4gig with a i7 3770 triples my frames, and even loading times. I guess it could be an instability issue, but I am our of thought and just having to assume I am doomed and will need to get a new pc for second life.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2019 at 3:42 AM, Certify said:

4 x 4gb 1600mhz dimm 1 x 8gb Hyper fury 1600

I'm confused about this...
Are you mix and matching RAM sticks? That's always a bad idea.

As for the rest, grab a tool that measures system resources, see what is being pegged on a wall.
I'm gonna bet is your CPU, FX CPUs were never good, not even when they were new. The claim was because of their 8 cores they would come alive in the future but that is just not true, even today when compared with the intel offerings at the time the FXs are still not outperforming them.

Your R9 390 should be delivering a lot more frames than that, but the CPU is likely not making enough draw calls.

19 minutes ago, Dean Haystack said:

As for the rest, grab a tool that measures system resources, see what is being pegged on a wall.
I'm gonna bet is your CPU, FX CPUs were never good, not even when they were new. The claim was because of their 8 cores they would come alive in the future but that is just not true, even today when compared with the intel offerings at the time the FXs are still not outperforming them.

Your R9 390 should be delivering a lot more frames than that, but the CPU is likely not making enough draw calls.

Honestly it's just a hardware problem, could be nothing else and fx chips are pretty crap I know for a fact I should be getting higher frames. I've just gave up until I fix up the hardware

22 hours ago, Certify said:

Honestly it's just a hardware problem, could be nothing else and fx chips are pretty crap I know for a fact I should be getting higher frames. I've just gave up until I fix up the hardware

Always try other viewers. FS is notoriously pig-in-a-poke for many people. Try LL and Catznip, Kokua, etc. Catznip's February release has a major performance boost over all other in my personal experience. Doesn't hurt to try it.

On 4/30/2019 at 12:55 PM, Dean Haystack said:

Its not too much of a concern, modern memory controllers dont have an issue with it anymore like the ones for pre DDR did. Everything there is the same speed and thats good enough, timings will balance out to whatever all sticks can handle. Mixing speeds would just result in the lowest speed stick being the speed of all memory.

3 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

I used to never ask my mom for a cookie because I was 80% sure she'd just say no, so it wouldn't work. Until I asked my mother for a cookie. :D

I'd ask my mum that and 80% of the time she would look at the caloric intake label and tell me how unhealthy it is. 😂

Well the computer is now freezing, I can't download anything. Tried to download MSI Afterburner and it froze,  tried downloading speedfan and it froze, even firestorm it freezes. This forces me to physically force shut down the system everytime. This tells me that itit'as motherboard issue, cpu issue or I'm doomed issue. Just going to build a ryzen 3 pc and hope it lasts 5 years.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1832 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.