Mass exodus South ?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1836 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

37 minutes ago, Sandy Schnook said:

Possibly because it requires the purchase of a boat and paying rent.  As long as you are premium, these houseboats require neither.

The LL Houseboats aren't driveable, but you do get a good sized area to rez a drivable boat on your plot.  There are some great (and easy to operate) free sailboats inworld which are great to try out and see if you enjoy sailing.  I'm quite a terrible driver on roads and tracks in SL, but I happily found I can sail a lot better than I drive!  Many marinas and yacht clubs also have 'click and rez' temporary water vehicles which are also a great way to try out boating for free.  Fair warning though... once you've tried it and like it, it's really hard NOT to do it!  My Inventory organization suffered until the TP and SIM crossing crashes have pushed me back into the Wardrobe!  ;D

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BJoyful said:

The LL Houseboats aren't driveable, but you do get a good sized area to rez a drivable boat on your plot.  There are some great (and easy to operate) free sailboats inworld which are great to try out and see if you enjoy sailing.  I'm quite a terrible driver on roads and tracks in SL, but I happily found I can sail a lot better than I drive!  Many marinas and yacht clubs also have 'click and rez' temporary water vehicles which are also a great way to try out boating for free.  Fair warning though... once you've tried it and like it, it's really hard NOT to do it!  My Inventory organization suffered until the TP and SIM crossing crashes have pushed me back into the Wardrobe!  ;D

I have a boat now, I just meant that for some people having a boat is quite secondary or not even necessary to enjoying a home on or near the water.  Beachfront mainland is hugely expensive much of the time due to the high sale price many people place on it.  There are rental lands, many of them have land near water but so close to a sim edge, the water is unusable even for just swimming.  But boat slip rentals pretty much only provide a place for a boat, the new houseboats are an entirely different animal.

Edited by Sandy Schnook
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sandy Schnook said:

I have a boat now, I just meant that for some people having a boat is quite secondary or not even necessary to enjoying a home on or near the water.  Beachfront mainland is hugely expensive much of the time due to the high sale price many people place on it.  There are rental lands, but many of them have land near water but so close to a sim edge, the water is unusable even for just swimming.  But boat slip rentals pretty much only provide a place for a boat, the new houseboats are an entirely different animal.

That is very true Sandy!  It takes a lot of time and effort to find seaside with navigable water at a reasonable price.  Then also disappointing if navigable water isn't Protected and you end up trapped in those unusable or barely usable places.  The LL Houseboats will give every owner a nice spot to have guaranteed protected access to navigable water for as long as they want :D  There are a few boat rez spots on the older Premium Continents but not much navigable water was connected to them... maybe LL will consider sprucing them up a bit as the new ones have been snapped up so fast!

• Like 1

This current continent isn't even finished yet with many more houseboats to come once it is.  Not to mention that it's copying the landmass of the SSP region, that only had 384 sims.  They've already used this new area to make a waterway from the continent below to the continent above.  So maybe 500 sims going into the finished current mass.  I was there when Patch said the finished project may reach as much as 4000 regions, because since the new homes need more space, it's easily quite possible.  And that number, I believe has been reiterated in a recent LL video, plus news that more continents may be joined with navigable water. 

Edited by Sandy Schnook
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, CoffeeDujour said:

I tried driving .. that was a mistake.

LL really needs to take a fundamental look at how physics and region crossing work, because right now, it's a literal train wreck. There is no reason to be locked into supporting existing vechs if they can be updated to actual usable vechs later.

The next "drink your own coffee" day should include the mandatory task; Drive a car around the new Linden homes.

If you don't get a region crossing failure, driving works pretty well with the better vehicles.  I've boated all the way around Belessaria and have been from the southwest to the northeast via motorcycle to visit a friend. It's an easy place to drive. What's the problem?

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1836 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.