htreats and attempted hacking issue

thorlof Brezoianu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1986 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

hello i have an avatar in world that keeps threatening and has already tried to hack my account once by sending illicit programs to my email address two things i am wondering can ll labs do anything about this i have reported him for the threats but i'm not sure if i can for the attempt at my account from sending fake ll labs emails if anyone can answer this ie preferable a linden i would greatfull thanks you one last thing i am wondering is there any way to stop people seeing my email on my dashboard??

Edited by thorlof Brezoianu

8 answers to this question

26 minutes ago, thorlof Brezoianu said:

one last thing i am wondering is there any way to stop people seeing my email on my dashboard??

The dashboard is there for your use, no one else. The only way another can see your dashboard is if you give out your password. If you have done so, I'd suggest you change it IMMEDIATELY.

As for the emails, I'd think they be phishing for your password. Your account can not be hacked. If someone in-world is claiming to be a Linden, AR them. The Lindens have a very unique look to their tags. As for email threats, I would just ignore them. Don't click on unfamiliar links or urls.

Edited by Jerilynn Lemon
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, thorlof Brezoianu said:

hello i have an avatar in world that keeps threatening and has already tried to hack my account once by sending illicit programs to my email address two things i am wondering can ll labs do anything about this i have reported him for the threats but i'm not sure if i can for the attempt at my account from sending fake ll labs emails if anyone can answer this ie preferable a linden i would greatfull thanks you one last thing i am wondering is there any way to stop people seeing my email on my dashboard??

Unless you physically gave someone your email address I am not sure how they would be sending you anything, also if it looks to be coming from LL are you sure it is not just a normal SL Offline ? if someone is doing something to you from SL then yes you can abuse report their avatar and provide proof in a ticket, but again not really sure unless you handed that information over to this person how they could have found it, nothing in your profile gives that information.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thorlof Brezoianu said:

OK one last question how long does it normally take for ll labs to look into reports and do something about it and no it wouldn't be i have off lines turned off

you will never know, LL doesn't share or discusses the outcome of AR's, at most you will see the griefing stops... but if they have your rl email i doubt LL can do a lot about that.

If the emails are coming from an external email address that purports to be a Linden Lab account, then try forwarding them to phishing@secondlife.com, as detailed in this (admittedly old) Wiki page.

You can also set up a filter or rule in your inbox to send all emails from that address - unread - directly to trash. If multple addresses are being used then you might need to set other parameters for those filters (such as combinations of words, or a combination of 'Linden' with an attachment included - since LL never send attachments with their emails). I would also strongly suggest that you change your email password, followed by your Second Life password, and set up Two Factor Authentication on your email account. In addition, if you're not too attached to that email address (e.g. you only use it for that SL account) then get a new one and forget that one entirely.

• Thanks 1

1.  How do you know the emails you're receiving are not from LL?  Linden Lab does send residents emails.  In addition, if you have the option enabled in your viewer's Preferences, when you are off line, IMs from people in world will be forwarded to your email.  The person sending the IM does NOT know your email address.  Mail from LL will be from the address service@mail.secondlife.com.

2.  If you are sure that the emails you are getting are not from LL, and are not simply IMs that have been forwarded to you, then you should change your email address.  (Be sure to let LL know your new address though, so you will receive important messages from them.)  I suggest that you create an email account that you use just for Second Life.

Edited by Lindal Kidd

14 hours ago, thorlof Brezoianu said:

First i have off lines turned off in my account and also i can tell the difference between a fake email and a real one. So that's how i know when i get supposed offline messages

You  have a LOT of RL information in your profile and it may well be enough for someone to work out your E-mail address by following the chain. This isn't even taking into account the possibility that you've given out more identifiable information in-world, and judging from how you say you approach SL you probably have.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1986 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.