Layered Fitmesh Clothing

Jennifer Boyle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1849 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Is there any clothing line that includes fitmesh that layers really well? Like sweaters and jackets that fit over shirts, shirts with tails tucked in or left out that work with skirts and pants, etc.

It seems like a creator could make clothes that layer well with their other clothes.

The items have to be purpose built to be layered. For example, I have a long sleeve, vest, and scarf combo thy can be unlinked to make any combination of them.

The problem is that so many creators just buy premade templates (myself included), so they really can't make things layer. I do purchase DAE files and have looked at layering, but only on a very limited level. To get any mbet of layers, you start bulking up very quickly, and you need to spend a lot of time on rigging to make sure the layers don't peek through.

Edited by HarrisonMcKenzie

8 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

Is there any clothing line that includes fitmesh that layers really well? Like sweaters and jackets that fit over shirts, shirts with tails tucked in or left out that work with skirts and pants, etc.

It seems like a creator could make clothes that layer well with their other clothes.

Coco tries to make sure her clothing fits with other pieces of clothing, I like to mix and match her stuff regularly 

• Like 1

There are a few creators who purposely create their clothing to work with other pieces they've made and go as far as to give you a notecard with the names of pieces that work together. Blueberry is one of these. There aren't many who do this however.

One of the reasons I don't demo clothing in a shop is because it has to pass several tests on my checklist before I'll buy the item and one of those things is .. will it work with other items in my inventory. So when buying a jacket I will take the demo home and see if it will work with tops and bottoms I already own. If I can't make it work with a good number of items I simply will not buy it. I do the same thing with tops and bottoms when I demo. I love to mix and match my clothing just like I do in RL. If a top only works with the pants it was made to work with I simply will not buy it. I don't rule out applier clothing when testing mesh clothing. I use applier tops under mesh tops and jackets a lot. I love the layered look and using appliers to get that look is nearly a necessity.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blush Bravin said:

I use applier tops under mesh tops and jackets a lot. I love the layered look and using appliers to get that look is nearly a necessity.

Ditto this. I am a big fan of appliers - except I hate appliers. So my answer is to use the applier on a *copy* of my body, then put the applier away. Then put the copy of the body into its own folder and treat that as a mesh item, rather than an applier - I simply add and detach the body-copy as I would any other mesh clothing item. Works great! When I wear the second body over the first it adds maybe 10 to 15 to my render score (which is less than many single-item outfits right there) Definitely the way to go.

Moar appliers, plz.

I.

Cannot.

Wait.

For BoM.

• Thanks 1

I often use applied clothing under a mesh item - for example, a T-shirt (applied) under a jacket (mesh). If a copy of my mesh body is saved with every outfit, with the clothing applied to it, then dressing by using "replace current outfit" should swap bodies instead of adding another? I'll test that out later.

And, yes, Blueberry are good for stipulating, on quite a few of their items, that, "This can be worn with [item name]".

Its really quite annoying to see a nice coat, only to find that its impossible to wear on top of anything without stuff sticking through!

46 minutes ago, Odaks said:

I often use applied clothing under a mesh item - for example, a T-shirt (applied) under a jacket (mesh). If a copy of my mesh body is saved with every outfit, with the clothing applied to it, then dressing by using "replace current outfit" should swap bodies instead of adding another? I'll test that out later.

And, yes, Blueberry are good for stipulating, on quite a few of their items, that, "This can be worn with [item name]".

Its really quite annoying to see a nice coat, only to find that its impossible to wear on top of anything without stuff sticking through!

If you are referring to the viewer Outfits tool? No (it will not remove your main body)  - it works just fine AS LONG AS your main body is NOT a part of any outfit. That Outfits system works on links - it only adds all links in a folder and only removes links in an outfit folder.

Now, if you are *very old school* (I am LOL) where you drag a folder from inventory onto your avatar and select "replace current outfit" - that WILL remove your main body. It detaches everything (including HUDs) and then *wears* (I don't know if it's updated to "add") everything. But that is even older-school than rezzing every single boxed item (even if a HUD) on the ground and right-clicking to "OPEN" to unbox it the way I do LOL

Edited by Alyona Su

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

- it works just fine AS LONG AS your main body is NOT a part of any outfit.

Thanks! That's fine; that's how all my Outfits folders are set up. However, the mesh body (and head) links all point back to a single item in the appropriate "master" folder. In the case of my mesh body, that's a plain, nude body. But those links could easily point back to different versions of the body - a nude one, one with a T and jeans applied, one with applied lingerie, etc., as appropriate. I think that is the sort of scheme that you were talking about in your post.

By the way, I didn't even know about the "very old school" methods! Thanks for the info 😉.

3 hours ago, Odaks said:

However, the mesh body (and head) links all point back to a single item in the appropriate "master" folder

Yes, this is how I did it also before I started using the CTS Wardrobe. The neat thing with the outfits tool is if the new outfits contain a link to the same item in the old outfit then it does not detach it - it keeps it on, so only those that *change* is added or removed. :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1849 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.