Need help with Tattoo Transparency Script

Alasttor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1838 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello! I was wondering if there Is a way to lower the opacity of an already applied tattoo via script.

I am trying to improve a tattoo applier HUD so I could apply the tattoo with it (already achieved), but  then also add 2 buttóns scripted to lower or increase the opacity of the texture, or maybe 2 or 3 buttons with fixed opacity levels (100%, 75%, 50%).

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Edited by Alasttor

2 answers to this question

You may have seen mesh heads with variable transparency of blush, eye shadow, lipstick, etc. Those are each on their own mesh object. You can often see the area affected when you change any of those items. The area goes gray as the texture loads.

What they are doing is varying the transparency setting of the 'prim', individual item. Prim transparency can be controlled by script. (llSetLinkPrimitiveParams)

There is no other way to vary the transparency by script. So, as Lindal suggests we often make multiple textures with different transparency levels baked in. Then switch textures by script. 

Changing textures is data intense and places a load on the SL system. Having onion skin like objects to control transparency creates its own problems. Bakes On Mesh (BOM) is an effort to reduce the need for so many layers of onion-skin on mesh bodies. But, it is going to have problems with BoM as it doesn't handle script changing transparency of small parts.

I don't have a good answer for how to handle all these changes. Talk to the body makers... see what they are going to do with BoM.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1838 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.