Nora Trallis

Does the setup fee include my first month's rent?

Question

Hi folks,

I am looking at buying a region and am unsure if the first set up cost is 349 and then the coming months 249 or if it is 598 up front.

4 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

[ Incorrect information deleted on edit] Read more at 

and

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

There's a one-time setup fee.  The monthly land fees are separate.  You pay them every month, including the first one.

can't find it at the moment, but i'm pretty sure the first month maintenance was included in the LL purchase price in the past, perhaps that changed with lowering the costs in some stage.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Ethan Paslong said:

can't find it at the moment, but i'm pretty sure the first month maintenance was included in the LL purchase price in the past, perhaps that changed with lowering the costs in some stage.

Correct.  They stated it in this blog post:

"And remember, the setup fee includes your first month’s payment."

• Like 1

You may want to do a little more research before buying a new region from LL.  You have some options to consider.

A new region costs $349, and carries an ongoing monthly payment of $249.

You can buy an existing region from the resident who owns it.  In the past, this often let you save money up front, because purchasing from LL cost more...$600, or even $1,000 if you go back a couple of years.  The savings probably aren't nearly so great now, because of the lower cost of an LL region.  However, some existing regions are "grandfathered"...that is, they carry a monthly cost of only $195.  This grandfathered status can be transferred to a new owner, with the payment of a one-time fee of $600.  A little math will show you that you can recover this cost within the first year of ownership.  Thereafter, you're saving a clear $54 per month.

You can read about the procedure for transferring region ownership here: https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/private-regions-r59/#Section__3_6

You can find private regions for sale here: https://community.secondlife.com/forums/forum/284-regions-for-sale-full-private-island/