Recommended Complexity setting to avoid in-flight crashes

ral61

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1915 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

While in-flight with a jet, plane or helicopter; I experience a crash effect with vehicle to see it repair itself in-flight, in time to complete to route & land at the airport.

Is the the complexity setting attempting to crash to whole flight, with approaching the airport scripts?

Should passengers with pilots lower the complexity level while in-flight, to avoid grid crashes while flying?

Mirage 2000-Night Flight Landing with GPS.PNG

Flight Completed with GPS Transponder #1.PNG

Flight Completed with GPS Transponder #3.PNG

GTFO-Delivery-  LJ-45xr-2-11-19.PNG

Edited by ral61
adding attachment

3 answers to this question

I don’t feel complexity is as much an issue while inflight, as are an avi’s script load. 

I’ve always do try to keep my complexity below 100k, but things like AO’s and other things (hair can be heavily scripted) are of more a problem at sim crossings. Inflight I always remove (not just turn off) my ao. Of course no HUDs, etc....  body and other things.

The least of ALL is definitely better for smooth flights... especially if SCREAMING thru sims at high high speeds. 

(Disclaimer... I’m no expert, just speaking from my experiences) BTW there’s FS setting to ‘pause’ viewer at crossings, rather than calculating. I don’t mind the pauses at all.

• Thanks 1

Dave's advice is good.  The lower the script load, the more reliable your region border crossings will be.  Also, adding passengers increases the likelihood of sim crossing problems.  So if you carry passengers, be sure to limit their "baggage allowance", i.e., script load.

Flying fast aircraft such as jets increases the probability of region crossing problems, or at least disorientation.  By the time the losing and gaining regions have sorted you out, you're nearly to the next crossing.  This is why I love helicopters, sailplanes, ultralights, and balloons for flying in Second Life.

• Thanks 1

Both are right. Script load is the most influential component in a region crossing.

Behind that is the number of avatar attachments. The fewer the better. I have a classic avatar wearing only system clothes and the Firestorm bridge I wear when flying.

Behind those consider the Land Impact and script load of the vehicle. Not much one can do to change a vehicle. But, various vehicles are better for various types of travel.

When crossing regions AVOID the region corners. Cross perpendicular to the region boundary. If you must cross at an angle, try to be headed toward the middle of the region you are entering. You want as much time as possible between crossings. Flying a copter at 80 knots (135 ft/sec) across a 256 m (840 ft) sim takes about 6 seconds. Avoid turning as you cross. Actually avoid any control input as you cross. When the crossing starts and ends is difficult to gauge. Firestorm's STOP mode of crossing is a help in knowing when you are in the input limbo. The servers can have a hard time anticipating what they should do if you are turning and stacking up keystrokes can make a mess of the crossing. Also a crossing may take longer and increase the chance of problems if you are turning.

Clipping the corner of a third (or second depending on how you count) region as you cross into the next region will often cause a problem. You can be forcing 2 crossings within a second. So, avoid corners. 

There is a Ban Line HUD that tells you where it is safe to cross. If the parcel on the other side or within the region has ban lines, is at prim limit, the region is down... I think it best for sailing. But, I have used it flying.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1915 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.