Blender: texture jaggedness *blocky* , baking.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1902 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello! when baking textures in a blender, *blocky* jaggedness appears, how to remove it? texture resolution 2048x2048. I use blender render, selected to active normals/ao baking method, and these are my settings:

texture.png

Untitled.jpg

I even tried 4096x4096 and changed the interpolation option on the Image node from "Linear" to "Smart" but it didnt helped.

Untitled.png

Edited by ainst Composer

14 minutes ago, OptimoMaximo said:

did you try to increase the number of pixels for the antialiasing? 1 pixel like in your settings looks to be quite low, try with at least 2 or 3, otherwise it's pretty useless if it can interpolate across just pixels directly neighboring the sampled one

Thanks very much! I tried but for some reason i can only set it 1.5 maximum. How do you think if I just increase the model several times will it affect?

EDIT: Nope doesnt affect...

Untitled.png

Edited by ainst Composer

I think you can override clamped sliders by double clicking and typing in your desired value. Besides, you can try to choose a different method than the Mitchell-natraval, which is one of those sampling methods largely used to retain crispy edges. In Maya i often use Lanczos but i don't know if that's available in blender. Otherwise gaussian is a good choice but it tends to blur pixels too much

Edited by OptimoMaximo
typo, an horrible one
  • Thanks 2

Just a note.  I had a full time pro person helping me with this issue long ago. "We" decided that there was no way to fix this in Blender. This after oh so much testing. That being said, since you can only upload a 1024 texture, the somewhat easy way to fix is resize a larger texture in your graphics program.  

Since I have been working in Sansar I have been baking more at 2048 and then resizing and that certainly helps. Blender absolute HATES diagonals.  So avoiding those as much as possible helps. In your example you could straighten each of those treads to be horizontal or vertical -- giving you FEWER diagonal edges.  You can also soften that line in your graphics software before resizing.  I almost always do both, but if you look closely at many meshes, most folks do not.  

It is definitely frustrating.  If you do fine a mysterious answer -- wonderful!! :D

• Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

In your example you could straighten each of those treads to be horizontal or vertical

Little note there, @Chic Aeon : the OP is about baking normal map and AO from an highpoly to a low poly model. What you suggest, in this case, is not possible because of that. Another course of action might be avoiding the treads completely and generating the same shape's normal map elsewhere, and then compositing it over and over on top of the flattened normal map (i would personally do it in Substance Designer, but Quixel NDO would do just the same), and when done, generate the AO from the newly created normal map.

• Thanks 2

I would recommend a standalone baker like xNormal, or Handplane Baker. Choosing the Unity tangent space for best results (still not perfectly synced with SL, but as close as you can get).

Both of these apps are free. I don't know if you can get xNormal version 3.19.2 somewhere still (3.19.3c is the latest as of now), because the available UnityTSpace plugin is for v3.19.2. It may work in 3.19.3c as well though, but I haven't tested that.

The easier choice would be Handplane Baker these days probably.

Those are Windows only apps though.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1902 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.