Money from Linden Labs?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1921 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Seems to be quite a chore in getting money out of SL compared to  putting in. With good reason  with hackers and  such. I get that. but where  does it end, when it feels  more  of harassment then  verifying who you are. Why do they need to know why your taking out the money  and what little gifts you received over the years and who your connected to in rl . I think Linden Labs has  gone over the  TOS of Real Life LOL. Might sound silly of me but really  i understand they have to be careful who they give the money to but  there is a limit to  all this there has to be. i was asked for licenses of me and spouse and marriage license!!! Are you kidding me? Two weeks and still waiting on my money  they are  still holding . This is ridiculous. Has anyone else had these problems with having  to give their DNA and finger prints to Linden Labs? Just saying LOL.

I suspect there's more to the story than you are telling us here.  The basic process for selling L$ on the LindeX and then using a credit transfer to send them to your PayPal account is fairly straightforward.  If you are sending large amounts of money out of SL, especially if you are doing it regularly, things do get more complicated.  At that point, Linden Lab (not Labs) has to comply with federal laws (and probably laws in the EU or wherever) that are designed to discourage money laundering and to assure that the tax people (IRS or whoever) know that you are taking earned income from SL.  They are required to get documentation from you to verify your identity and to report it to the appropriate agencies.  The Lab will also request that sort of documentation if they have reason to suspect that you have been involved in questionable activity in SL.  It's partly a matter of protecting themselves in case the feds start looking for illegalities, and partly a way to recapture L$ that have been stolen from other residents.  

If you have questions about the process, you should either submit a support case or contact Live Chat (if you are a Premium member), or contact the Linden Lab Billing Office.  Call toll-free in the US/Canada: 800-294-1067 or 703-286-6277 .

• Like 5

Typically there aren't issue cashing out to Paypal until you reach a certain amount (I think that was $600 maybe when the rule first came on but it could be very different now). In Sansar (also owned by The Lab) I only took out $60 as a test of the new money rates and had to prove who I was. THERE (not here so far) you can  ONLY take out money that you earn on the Store.   Not likely that can happen here but obviously rules are getting tougher --- and I doubt seriously that it is a choice from Linden Lab as it is a lot of work that they would rather not do.

I can say that in the past if you tried to take out money and DIDN'T verify who you were --- you lost your money.  My info was a bit more complex than most so it took me longer and I made it under the wire for the 30 days and all is OK now. BUT it might be good to find out what is going on and perhaps call.    

• Like 2

I had to send in a copy of my driving licence. That was all, one time verification. There must be more going on behind the scenes that you are not fully aware of (could literally be anything). I had 10k deducted from my account a week ago as someone bought a product on my alts store with lindens that were obtained fraudulently. Not saying yours are obtained that way but there literally could be ANY amount of reasons as to why its taking so long. As Rollig said, contacting support and asking them directly is your best bet.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bigmoe Whitfield said:

Sounds like you smacked into the risk api the lab has, so once that does happen they need to verify, which is just one of many reasons they verify.

Most likely that.

• Got a too high amount of Lindens at once from a friend? Red lamp goes on...
  • Got a tip while DJing buttip came from someone they already tagged as possible risk? Red lamp goes on...
  • Got lots of Lindens without owning a MP store? Red lamp goes on...
  • Got an higher income to spend ratio than some hidden benchmark? Red lamp goes on...

once you aquired several red lamps you will be asked to provide more details.

It is heuristics, nothing personal

Here is a typical Bayesian statistics example US credit card companies really used:

If you are a male below 30 years of age and bought jewelry and petrol within 24 hours with the same credit card you are very likely buying with a stolen credit card that is not yours...

So are males below 30 suspicious? No

Buyers of petrol? No

Male buyers of jewelry? No

But if you were a credit card thief you want to use it to get as much resellable untagged stuff as possible... petrol and jewelry are such items.

Now some totally innocent dude who just bought a ring to propose to his girlfriend who lives in the next state now goes to his car pulls over to the gas station and suddenly the gas station guy asks him to identify himself or worse yet simply tells the bloke his credit card just got invalid...

You are in the same situation as that dude - something totally innocent you did set of some alarms... and now the cavalry is here to investigate. They just do their job - if they come to the conclusion you are a legit receiver of the Lindens and it is no money laundring scheme or worse you will eventually get your money. Don't blame them - blame the bad guys they try to catch that make this stuff neccesary. ;)

Edited by Fionalein
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1921 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.