Change direction of green move arrow

xCruel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1921 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I’m trying to move my skybox over my land a little bit because it’s a little too far out but when I try to use the green move arrow in edit it only goes one way and im only able to move it sideways and not foward or backwards. How can I change the direction of the arrow?

6 answers to this question

The green arrow always moves in the Y direction.  If you are in global coordinates, that's East or West.  If you are in local coordinates, that's left or right.  If you want to move in the X direction (North/South in global coordinates or forward/backward in local coordinates), you have to use the red arrow.  To change coordinate systems, use the drop-down menu in your edit tool from Global to Local or vice versa when you have your object selected.

I suggest reading relevant articles in the Knowledge Base or taking a basic building class at Builders Brewery or Caledon Oxbridge University.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Thanks 1

It can be difficult to move things along an axis that points away/towards you, as the move arrow will be visually short. When this happens, move around the object a little to get a better view of the arrow. You can do this by walking, or by moving the camera. To move the camera, hold down the option/alt key and click and hold on something in your view to move the camera near it. Once you've moved to a new position, while still holding down the mouse button, you can orbit the camera by scrolling left/right and you can zoom in/out by scrolling the mouse up/down. When you have the camera where you want it, let go of the mouse button. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

You can also type new values into the Position boxes in the Edit window.

I personaly prefer that a lot. It gives me much more control of where items are supposed to be. Also most viewers will allow the up or down keys and the mouse wheel in those fields... just be sure to have our text cursor in the position and not size boxes ;)

I am prone to make typos at the most inconvenient time.  Sadly, that has meant accidentally sending an object 1000m higher than I intended a few times.  Typing a number into one of those fields is a much more precise way to move things .... but only if you proofread your entry before you hit ENTER.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1921 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.