SL eyelashes showing even set at zero and they are white 0.o

MissRiverSong

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4708 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I looked everywhere and couldn't find a thread about this so please don't roast me if it's already been covered. lol  I use Phoenix, the latest version and noticed that even with the SL lashes turned all the way down to zero they show and not just a little either.  They are white now instead of black and extremely noticeable no matter what I do, I tried tattoo liner, tattoo lashes, everything even uninstalling and reinstalling and they won't go away.  Anyone know what to do?  I'd be happy just to get them back to black where they weren't so blasted obvious.

AFAIK, the eyelashes are defined in the Skin (texture) and usually they are black, What you can do in Edit->Appearance is change the length.

Check if you changed your skin lately, maybe there was a version with white eyelashes too.

And check if you wear any Tattoo-Layers or Attachments (prims) that might cover urs that came with the skin.

Right now i´m not sure if you can hide the skin eyelashes with an alpha layer but i will try that later this day.

Maybe the skin creator just forgot to paint them. It happens, I had a skin once from a very famous skin creator and she had forgotten to paint the inside of the mouth, it was scary when my avvie opened her mouth hehe :o

We all make mistakes sometimes, credit to the creator, she did fix it and send me the corrected one :)

I remember the same glitch happened a year ago. Just the same happened then. I would recommend you to get alpha textures from here: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Marketplace/729882: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Marketplace/729882

Why do I recommend these and not the free ones another one pointed you to? Well, you use Phoenix and can only use one alpha mask at a time. The free alpha mask for hiding system lashes was no modify. It means that when you put on that one, you can't wear an alpha mask for your feet.... And you can't modify the alpha mask for lashes, so you have to choose between the lashes or those great shoes!:womansurprised:

I have used several viewers the last year and quickly learnt to edit alpha masks, or make my own. It is much more easy when the creator of shoes left the alpha mask modifiable. I would then wear the shoe alpha mask, go into appearance mode and edit the alpha mask, dropping the "no lashes" texture on the hair part. Or was it the head part? Hope I remember right.... I haven't had much time for SL in weeks. I then use "save as" and save the alpha mask as "No lashes maitreya shanti" so I know that's the modified mask I use when I am using a viewer that don't support multiple layers.

If the shoe alpha is no modify, then you have to build an custom alpha mask from scratch. The layers set I linked to has some foot alphas. But you can find a big pack of free alpha texures + modifiable masks in The Forum Cartel Hangout. They are created by Imnotgoing Sideways. You then go into appearance mode without wearing an alpha mask, and create a new alpha mask.

How to create alpha masks, shown in this video:

Instead of ticking the box under each alpha mask part, you select the texure you will use there. If you have a modifiable alpha mask, you will see how that is made.

And a last tip: If you will wear prim eyes and hide the system eyes, just tick the box under the eyes part, and the system eyes disappear totally.

Just R-click and save this texture, then upload it into SL, then edit whatever alpha you're wearing for your shoes and add this texture to the "head" part. You can also just make a new alpha set, and add this texture as a stand alone "no eyelash" one for when you have no shoes on.

NoEyelashAlphaTex2.png

• 1 month later...

Nice I found this post cause I'm having problems with my skin eyelashes now.

I like to use skins with no eyelashes, so I have no texture on that part of the skin (the alpha is in the skin, not in sl layer). But right now it looks like sl don't want to make it transparent and I see default eyelashes. I tried using sl viwer 2 and phoenix and nothing. I didn't see my eyelash wearing the skin before, but now I see them.

anyone knows what would be the problem?

edit: Ok, I tried adding skin head to an alpha layer and now it looks like allways. I guess they broke the alpha thing for lashes in skin layer...nice ¬¬

Catwise Yoshikawa wrote:

edit: Ok, I tried adding skin head to an alpha layer and now it looks like allways. I guess they broke the alpha thing for lashes in skin layer...nice
¬¬

Alpha layer textures can only be black, white, or a mix of the two. When using any other colored texture (like the head texture from a skin), any texture colors darker than 50% will default to black (do not show), and any colors lighter than 50% will default to white (show)... that is how the alpha layer system works. If you did like you said and have a light skin tone, it would likely default to all white and the alpha layer would have no effect. I just logged in, so I'm sending you my eyelash alpha layer, and the separate texture itself to use in other pre-made alpha layers (like the ones that come with shoes). If there's still an issue then I'd suggest you clear the cache and try again, because I can guarantee the alpha map i send is correct (been using it for months).

Dana Hickman wrote:

Catwise Yoshikawa wrote:

edit: Ok, I tried adding skin head to an alpha layer and now it looks like allways. I guess they broke the alpha thing for lashes in skin layer...nice
¬¬

Alpha layer textures can only be black, white, or a mix of the two. When using any other colored texture (like the head texture from a skin), any texture colors darker than 50% will default to black (do not show), and any colors lighter than 50% will default to white (show)... that is how the alpha layer system works. If you did like you said and have a light skin tone, it would likely default to all white and the alpha layer would have no effect. I just logged in, so I'm sending you my eyelash alpha layer, and the separate texture itself to use in other pre-made alpha layers (like the ones that come with shoes). If there's still an issue then I'd suggest you clear the cache and try again, because I can guarantee the alpha map i send is correct (been using it for months).

thanx a lot ^^

like I said in my edit note here, I made an alpha layer (in sl) for eyelashes and now I have none visible :P

The thing is before alpha layers come to SL, avatar skins could be made with no eyelashes. You just had to make eyelashes part transparent with alpha in the skin texture and you didn't have eyelashes ;-) Now I guess you have to use an alpha layer in sl when you are using viwers with alpha options like viwer 2 or phoenix.

Ahh my bad. "Like always" I took to mean with eyelashes like the SL default.. lol. No worries then.

It seems there's been some kind of changes to it, yes.. I've noticed many skins that do use the skin alpha now seem to have the lash parts whited out, ghosted, or not even transparent at all.. and they never used to. The plus side is hiding the lash mesh part with an alpha layer will rid you of the dreaded alpha texture bug if you happen to also wear prim eyelashes, so at least that's a good thing.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4708 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.