Media / TV issues?

doclawls

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1559 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Is it possible to listen to the same youtube video / song as my friend?

She's in america and im in the UK, were trying to use the TV (YouTube) to listen to music together, and we are getting different screens on each end. Hers is a different song to mine. Please Help!

thanks.

12 answers to this question

Lots of misconceptions here. Parcel media will be synced for all watching only if it's a live stream from a server. Then everyone (anywhere) sees it at approximately the same time. If you set the parcel media to a web page (such as from YouTube) or a URL for a movie that isn't live streamed, then everybody sees it from the beginning at the time they click on it. The only way to sync would be for everyone to start the media at the same time (and I guarantee it will get out of sync fairly soon).

Parcel media is very simple and takes nothing other than a prim to view. In About Land under Media, set the URL to the thing you're going to watch and specify the texture that the media will be displayed on. Apply that texture to a prim and you're ready to go. Click on whatever starts media in your viewer and watch. What's fun is to set media to show on a texture you've used a lot ... then you get video displayed all over the place. Add a script to animate the texture ... rotating is good.

Also ... the simulator supplies the URL and, in the case of media, the texture to the viewer. After that the simulator has nothing to do with sound or media. It's all between the viewer and whatever is serving the audio/media.

• Like 4

This depends on the device in SL you are using. If you are selecting media and your friend is too, you both are using different requests to YouTube. You might get the same content, but it is very unlikely you'll be in-sync.

If your are using a device working as parcel media, then you both should be seeing and hearing the same thing in near-sync.

4 minutes ago, Nalates Urriah said:

If your are using a device working as parcel media, then you both should be seeing and hearing the same thing in near-sync.

Not in my experience, Nalates!  Each person's stream starts up when the person hits their Play button.  That can be at wildly different times.

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

How do you use “parcel media” to watch video, vs. MOP?

I'm no media expert, but that's an easy one.  In About Land, there's a tab for a media URL, just like the one for a music stream URL.  Put the URL for a media stream in there.  Then you can watch that stream on a "TV" designed to display it.  I believe there is a very basic device of this sort in your Library, plus lots of older TVs work this way.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I'm no media expert, but that's an easy one.  In About Land, there's a tab for a media URL, just like the one for a music stream URL.  Put the URL for a media stream in there.  Then you can watch that stream on a "TV" designed to display it.  I believe there is a very basic device of this sort in your Library, plus lots of older TVs work this way.

I see, device / prim will use LSL functions that play parcel media vs. LSL functions for MOP.

17 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Does so.  At least, it does if you don't have autoplay enabled.

True. But, you pick up at the same point in the stream as everyone else. It is a "STREAM" not a basic file playing thing.

If you stop the stream and restat in a few seconds, it does not pick up where it left off.

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I see, device / prim will use LSL functions that play parcel media vs. LSL functions for MOP.

Yes. :) 

Hi All,

Not sure if anyone worked this out but if you want to watch a youtube video with someone else you can use the embed option in the URL like so  https://www.youtube.com/embed/WuHSBSLK3_A.  

To do this go to the video click share > embed > then take the URL out of the html coding and copy and paste that into the TV in SL.

:) :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1559 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.