How to set an object to land ?

Brusian

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2083 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Brusian said:

I have a house object , Im gonna make it in sky and  display on  search places, it owns its place name and others info  that land only can .

start here:

https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/

in special the  Getting started section

Inventory articles

the Building Articles

Land articles

2 hours ago, Ethan Paslong said:

start here:

https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/

in special the  Getting started section

Inventory articles

the Building Articles

Land articles

I mean, I rent a skybox, I'm gonna set it to land object,so that I can edit land info,I can have my own place to search for.

I find  one skybox can be set to place  to locate,and display its bio in the search list. 

Edited by Brusian

5 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

You can't edit land info unless you own the land, or unless the land is owner by a group, you are in the group, and you have powers in the group to edit the land.

Also, you can't set land in search unless you have the same power.

thank u ,bro . so,    any sky box must follow the ground land's info . Can sky box have an independent info

Edited by Brusian

To put a place in search, it is the land parcel that goes into search. The land management box has the option to 'Show in Search'. That's the only way.

When the parcel is set to show in search, then objects on the parcel can be set individually to be shown or not shown. If an object is shown, it is not shown independantly. It is listed on the parcel's page, and that page is what is shown individually. Words on parcel pages are used by the search engine to find matches to search terms.

What you can't do is have an object (such as a house) listed in search without the land that it's on set to show in search, because there is no parcel page that is indexed by the search engine to put it on. The only way to get your house into search is for the land to be set to show in search, and then the house set to show in search. And you can't set the land to show in search unless you have that power over the land, or unless the landowner sets it to show in search.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Like 1

I'll try to make it a little clearer.

The only things that are in the search engine's index are HTML pages. Land parcels (Places), avatars, etc. have one, but not individual objects.

Land parcel pages can contain information about objects on the land, but only those that are set to show in search.

The search engine indexes all the words on the HTML pages so that, when someone searches for, say, 'skybox', the engine finds instances of the word and displays a part of the pages that the found words are on. An object is never listed in the search results. Only the parcel pages are listed.

So, to have a parcel come up in the results for, say, 'skybox', it is the parcel that first has to be set to show in search, and only the parcel's owner, or, if the land is group-owned, someone who has the group power to set it, can do that.

Edited by Phil Deakins
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

I'll try to make it a little clearer.

The only things that are in the search engine's index are HTML pages. Land parcels, avatars, etc. have one, but not individual objects.

Land parcel pages can contain information about objects on the land, but only those that are set to show in search.

The search engine indexes all the words on the HTML pages so that, when someone searches for, say, 'skybox', the engine find instances of the word and displays a part of the pages that the found words are on.

So, to have a parcel come up in the results for, say, 'skybox', it is the parcel that first has to be set to show in search.

I have find another out, 'Create a Classified'  thanks though

Edited by Brusian

17 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

One way to advertise is on the marketplace, with a link to the inworld location. I'm sure that can be done.

all right, thx.  is there having land with low price and full perms. Im new,Im gonna make a place for myself.  I rent a skybox ,but it is not full perms.

3 minutes ago, Phil Deakins said:

Just out of interest, why do you want your skybox to show in search? It doesn't sound lile you want to sell them.

Im gonna open places  for searching like 'SEX','AFK','FREEBIE' .So that I don't need to make AD everywhere. 

Edited by Brusian

Brusian,

To do what you want, you will need to buy some land.  The simplest solution would be to get a Premium membership, and then buy a 1,024 sq. m. mainland parcel.  Then you can put your skybox over your land.  You have to buy the land initially, but you won't have to pay an ongoing weekly or monthly tier fee.

Think of it this way:  If you have some land (in RL or SL) you can build a house on it.  You can advertise your location in the Yellow Pages or the newspapers in RL, or set "Show in Search" and place a Classified ad in SL.  In SL (but not in RL), you can then lift your house straight up into the sky.  It is still "on" (over) your land, and so you can direct people to it by a landmark, or setting the arrival point in the About Land window.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2083 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.