Account Name Change?

Eksynn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2028 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

6 answers to this question

Second Life is a big world and there is a lot going on.  Eksynn is not the only one who finds themselves scratching their head over some bit of news and wondering "why didn't I hear about this?"  Here are some places that you can use to help yourself keep track of SL developments.

• On your Dashboard page, click the Community menu.  The Blogs section is especially useful.  There are several official Linden Lab blogs where you can find News.
  • Also in the Community section, there are the Forums.  The forums have a pretty high "noise level"...silly posts (from me as well as others) thread de-rails, arguments...but if you at least skim them you can often find a helpful heads-up.  For example, in the General Discussion forum, there is a post stickied to the top of the queue concerning Ebbe's recent Town Hall open discussion event.
  • Resident blogs.  I think one of the most active and informative bloggers out there is Inara Pey, and she often posts news before others.  https://modemworld.me/  Daniel Voyager is another insightful blogger.  https://danielvoyager.wordpress.com/

As far as the return of last names go, I don't think ANY naming system LL comes up with will satisfy everyone.  There were plenty of complaints about the old "legacy" naming system...for example, the list of surnames you could choose was limited, and often particular surnames would be retired, and not be available any longer.  Long time residents of SL can estimate a person's age simply from their last name.

The creative freedom comes from taking one of the available last names and then coming up with a clever first name to go with it.  For example, "Imnotgoing Sideways" or "Shouten Haller".

Cost:  Don't hold out any hope that you'll be able to pay for a name change with $L.  Linden Lab NEVER accepts their own play money, they require actual real world play money.  Actually, I think charging money for a user name change is a very good move.  You don't want people changing their names on a whim...the user name (and its associated UUID) are the ONLY uniquely identifiable things about us in SL.  Even with such changes being rare, there will have to be some sort of searchable history available, so you can see that the "Lola Kloppmeir" who is putting up a hedge of prim weenies along your parcel border is the avatar formerly known as "Lindal Kidd".

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Eksynn said:

How would it be made possible for users to have their usernames changed? would it be free, or a paid feature?

We know it's not an impossible feature, so my last question would be.. why is this not a thing?

Thanks in advance!

don't ask for things that are in the pipeline :)

i you follow the SL news/discussions/blogs you could read about it since months

• Like 2

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The ability is coming...... sometime..... maybe this year......

Here is a blog that is being updated with all the information we have so far on this topic:
https://ryanschultz.com/2018/03/22/more-details-on-the-upcoming-ability-to-change-your-user-name-in-second-life/

It didn't sound all that likely to me for "this year" from Ebbe's comments at the Town Hall  :D.  But they are working on it. 

5 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

It didn't sound all that likely to me for "this year" from Ebbe's comments at the Town Hall  :D.  But they are working on it. 

Yeah, the original announcement sounded like it would be this year, but I think it ended up being much more complicated than they originally thought.

at first i was like "yay!"
even did a little victory dance in my head

but then as i read the article, i was like: wth?

so then you'll have to pay real USD to change your name, and it's still limited to some pseudo-randomised list of last names? (→‿ ← ; moreover, you can't pick any of the legacy last names anymore.
so much for creative freedom, and this ability being available "for everyone". (=- = ;

now, responding to everyone in this thread - in general, thank you for responding, and i apologise for the delayed response to your responses. onto each response then:

@Ethan Paslong - i wasn't exactly asking for it, i was asking how it would, in theory, be able to be done; or even how much it would cost us, as well as linden labs to have this feature released. i also had no idea it was in the pipeline, as you put it (and i did look lol - maybe just not hard enough i guess ¯\_('‿ ' )_/¯) thank you for responding though

@LittleMe Jewell - thank you for pointing me to the article ^^ it was really helpful, and answered most of my questions.. now we just have to wait and see if it'll really be just real life USD or if they'll accept linden, or if it'll be free somehow, as i'm not premium, nor do i plan to be. i have no way to put real life money into second life, so i have a small store to earn linden the hard way. doing it this way is a real bullet to the gut, and the heart. i honestly hope they reconsider it.

@Chic Aeon - thank you for commenting ^^ where is this town hall, and what comment are you talking about?

Edited by Eksynn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2028 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.