Searching the "Received Folder"?

Jennifer Roundfield

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2072 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So.....I don't always move things from my Received Folder (at the bottom of the inventory screen) after I get them. I wear the piece of clothing or the hair or makeup or whatever and while I might save it s an outfit, I forget to save the applier at the same time.

Is there away to search "Received" for things I KNOW I have, but they are buried in my 3500+ item "received" folder?

~~~Jenni~~~

6 answers to this question

Egad!  3500 items in your Received Items folder!?

I've always considered this folder to be a temporary thing, rather like my mailbox in Real Life.  Every time things appear in my mailbox, I take them out, sort them, and deal with each item as it deserves.

While others might use it more like a file cabinet, I think you should seriously consider either cleaning it out, or at least creating sub-folders to organize it.  When a single folder contains too many items, it can cause problems with logging on (the "flat inventory" issue.)

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jennifer Roundfield said:

So.....I don't always move things from my Received Folder (at the bottom of the inventory screen) after I get them. I wear the piece of clothing or the hair or makeup or whatever and while I might save it s an outfit, I forget to save the applier at the same time.

Is there away to search "Received" for things I KNOW I have, but they are buried in my 3500+ item "received" folder?

~~~Jenni~~~

At least Firestorm has the option of showing "Received Items" as a regular system folder in the inventory. It is searchable if this option is ticked. Look in advanced viewwer settings, in FS it is in Preferences > User Interface > Interface Windows > Inventory Options. No idea about other viewers though.

Edited by Fionalein

23 hours ago, Fionalein said:

At least Firestorm has the option of showing "Received Items" as a regular system folder in the inventory. It is searchable if this option is ticked. Look in advanced viewwer settings, in FS it is in Preferences > User Interface > Interface Windows > Inventory Options. No idea about other viewers though.

13 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Egad!  3500 items in your Received Items folder!?

I've always considered this folder to be a temporary thing, rather like my mailbox in Real Life.  Every time things appear in my mailbox, I take them out, sort them, and deal with each item as it deserves.

While others might use it more like a file cabinet, I think you should seriously consider either cleaning it out, or at least creating sub-folders to organize it.  When a single folder contains too many items, it can cause problems with logging on (the "flat inventory" issue.)

Fionalein-THANK YOU...this is already making my life less crazy!

Lindal-yes, so it is a little messay....and I will not tell you what my Email inbox is like....But thanks for the flat inventory issue link. I promise I'll get it below 3000 items real soon!

~~~Jenni~~~

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Jennifer Roundfield You may not know this, but Second Life is an "Inventory Management" game. See Is Second Life a Game? You are SOooOOoooo losing ?

Technically there is no limit on how many items per folder imposed by the SL servers. However, your computer, connection speed and quality, and region server load all contribute to a soft limit. When people started going over 5k items per folder some had problems logging in. They made a tool for the support people that organizes you inventory in folders with less than 5,000 (?) items.

You may want to organize by year. That is about as simple as you can get. put 3k in 2017 and everything else in 2018. Next year put new stuff in 2019.

However... ? If you want to compete in Inventory Management...

??

Edited by Nalates Urriah
added stuff

Despite Nalates's comment, you're far from the bottom of the pile when it comes to Inventory Management...so take heart!  I know at least one person who just dumps everything into a big pile.  He claims he doesn't need to know where anything is, he just uses Search to go find it.  I myself am probably in the Bottom 1,000 in the Inventory Management rankings.

Now, if there was just an Inventory MISmanagement Game...

• Like 2

On August 18, 2018 at 11:16 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

I myself am probably in the Bottom 1,000 in the Inventory Management rankings.

You are still doing better than me. I have good intentions, I log on, thinking I am going to deal with my inventory, then right after I get on someone IMs me, saying something like "I am over at this club dancing, you wanna join me?" Then three hours later when I have to log off I have not done a thing with my inventory.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2072 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.