Avatar turn speed, standing, walking or running.

Nix Thirdborn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Using the official SecondLife viewer, is there a way to set my controls so that when I press left or right to turn my avatar, they continue rotating more than 1/16th of a rotation before the rotation drastically slows down? This makes it very, very difficult to walk around.

3 answers to this question

6 hours ago, Nix Thirdborn said:

Using the official SecondLife viewer, is there a way to set my controls so that when I press left or right to turn my avatar, they continue rotating more than 1/16th of a rotation before the rotation drastically slows down? This makes it very, very difficult to walk around.

I'm not sure what you mean and why you would want this. The short and simple answer is "no".

If the why, however, is so you can navigate tight spots (crowded spaces or avatar crowds) the easy workaround is to go into MouseLook and walk with that, steer using your mouse. It works smoothly by how much to move your mouse (and sometimes wows others as I have been asked: "how are you able to move so smoothly?)" LOL

There are several ways to get into and out of MouseLook, I tap the M key and sometimes just use the scroll wheel of the mouse.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 2

I can't imagine wanting to build in a delay like that.  It would make navigating truly frustrating.  If I were you, I would first get rid of the silly navigation widget on your screen, if that's what you have been using.  Then, follow Alyona's advice and learn to use mouselook or just get more practuce using your keyboard arrow keys.  It's not all that hard.

BTW, here are simple instructions for moving you camera around, since that's a related skill.

f_SLcameraconm_43a804a.jpg

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Thanks 1

Also, in Preferences->Move & View you can set the single and double mouse click on land action. One of the choices is to walk (move) to that 'clicked' spot. I use teleport on double click land. It is handy but has a gotcha... if the land is set to only allow TP to a hub, no matter where you double click you end up at the HUB. >:(

Mouse steering is how I have used SL for years. In third person view (not mouse look) left-click-hold on the avatar, press W or up-arrow. You go forward. Drag the mouse left and right to steer. This works very well for me. I do tend to wear out my mouse left button. There are variations. While holding the left-click A & D keys make you walk parallel with yout screen... in that frame of reference W walks you into the screen away from you and S walks you out of the screen, toward you. W & A or D walks you at 45. 

So, when shopping I can left-click-hold, press A or D and walk parallel to the wall of stuff I was looking at. While doing that I can walk around a corner by pressing and holding W while left-click-hold and A or D hold then as I progress release the A or D key. Try it. Easier to do than say.

Also, with left-click-hold and A or D or W I can roll the mouse forward or backward to change the camera angle up and down.

And... there are ways to change the default camera angles so a more enjoyable view. We'll save that for later.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2101 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.