Allowing Group members to change music settings

ParaWuff

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1445 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Having some issues with group permissions.  Trying to set it so certain group roles can change media settings (stream)

Steps taken:

• Group created
  • Land set to group
  • Role created with "Change music & media settings" permission
  • User added to this role
  • For added measure, user set that role as active

After relogging, still unable to change the stream.  Any thoughts on why?

Edited by ParaWuff

11 answers to this question

Has land been only set to group, or has it also been deeded to the group?

I can't check right now, as I do not have access to SL where I am now, but there is a difference between them. When the land is set to group, you will still be listed as owner of the land. When the land is deeded to the group, the group will be listed as owner of the land. When you are still owner of the land, group settings have no effect on the land.They will only take effect when the group is owner of the land.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ParaWuff said:

I'll search for other options to allow specific people to change the stream.

This is why there are scripted stream-changers, owned by the parcel owner. They might either have an authorization list (perhaps on a notecard) or,  if the group is invite-only and every member should have stream control, the script can just check for matching group, removing the burden of maintaining that authorization list.

(There's even a recent addition, OBJECT_GROUP_TAG, that can be checked in addition to active group to determine that an avatar belongs to a role you want to authorize for stream control. At this point, however, that particular feature may be hard to find in freebie scripts.)

Para, do you have more than one parcel in the region?  In that case, changing the ownership of one parcel will change your available prims.  Here's why:

The owner of a parcel has the parcel land capacity available.  Let's say I have a 512 parcel, so it has 175 prims available.

Now, I buy a second 512 parcel in the same region.  This parcel also has a capacity of 175 prims.

BUT...I now have a REGION land capacity that is the sum of my two parcels...350 prims.  (actually, 351, due to rounding errors in the algorithm).  I can allocate these prims in any way I want between my two land parcels.  I can put 175 prims on each one, or I can put all 350 prims on one parcel, leaving the second one vacant.

Now...if I deed one of the parcels to a group, that group becomes the parcel owner.  I now have one parcel that I own personally, with 175 prims available.  My group owns the second parcel, also with 175 prims available...but I can no longer mix and match prims between the two parcels, since they have two different owners...me, and the group.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lavalois said:

Has land been only set to group, or has it also been deeded to the group?

I can't check right now, as I do not have access to SL where I am now, but there is a difference between them. When the land is set to group, you will still be listed as owner of the land. When the land is deeded to the group, the group will be listed as owner of the land. When you are still owner of the land, group settings have no effect on the land.They will only take effect when the group is owner of the land.

.... well, I did that, and half my house disappeared.  neat. lol

to have full group abilities applied to the land use it has to be deeded or won't take effect, same with ejection, freezing and other security settings.

And ehm...

14 minutes ago, ParaWuff said:

.... well, I did that, and half my house disappeared.  neat. lol

we all had that :) .. several times... if it's not rezzed under the groupname, and you change the owner..... you'r ......

7 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

to have full group abilities applied to the land use it has to be deeded or won't take effect, same with ejection, freezing and other security settings.

And ehm...

we all had that :) .. several times... if it's not rezzed under the groupname, and you change the owner..... you'r ......

Fun thing is, I tried to put the house back and it said the parcel was too full.. then how come it wasn't before?  So confused.

EDIT: I did remove the entire house before trying to put it back

Second edit: Sold the land back to myself, rezzed the house again, all is back to where it should be.  I'll search for other options to allow specific people to change the stream.

Edited by ParaWuff

5 minutes ago, ParaWuff said:

Fun thing is, I tried to put the house back and it said the parcel was too full.. then how come it wasn't before?  So confused.

EDIT: I did remove the entire house before trying to put it back

it sometimes happens... :)

wear the right group tag, rezz in the middle of the land, and not on mesh surfaces.

When a building has some invisible attachments or shapes, the land can think you rezz it outside your borders and will refuse..

( check in the about land, or other tool like area search, there are not remaining parts of the house, some leave the invisible physics prims behind if you take it up.)

Just a final update to this, I'm not sure why my allowed impact changed when I gave the land to the group, makes no sense, but I was able to do it by deleting my skybox (I wasn't using it anyways), which lowered my land impact enough to keep the house intact.

Permissions are working correctly now, thanks all.

As for the stream board, I'm considering just using that next time.  I'm looking at this one at the moment: https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/SHX-SHOUTcast-board-Club-DJ-system-SRC-F4s/13064181

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1445 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.