What's going on with my pants?

Teagan Tobias

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2111 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am wondering if someone can help me understand what is happening with some pants I purchased.

I got a demo and the fit is perfect so I bought a pair of shorts and a pair of long pants. The long pants are beautiful and the fit for my eBODY Classic is good, I see no problem with them at all.

But the shorts leave my legs encased in a clear cocoon that shows up when there are any alphas behind me, and that is most of the time for me.

I don't see this with other Mesh clothing and was wondering if someone can tell me what is going on, what is this, is a new setting needed in my viewer? My LOD is high.

The shorts really look odd, and its too bad because the texture is nice and the fit is good, other than the cocoon thing the shorts look very nice.

If there is no remade for this my new shorts are destined for the trash heap.

Thanks for any enlightenment you can give me on this.

I sent a note card to the creator but from everything I see in her note cards and her profile, English is not her first language so I'm not sure what I will get back from her and thought the Forums could help me understand why I get the cocoon thing around my legs.

50 minutes ago, Teagan Tobias said:

I am wondering if someone can help me understand what is happening with some pants I purchased.

I got a demo and the fit is perfect so I bought a pair of shorts and a pair of long pants. The long pants are beautiful and the fit for my eBODY Classic is good, I see no problem with them at all.

But the shorts leave my legs encased in a clear cocoon that shows up when there are any alphas behind me, and that is most of the time for me.

I don't see this with other Mesh clothing and was wondering if someone can tell me what is going on, what is this, is a new setting needed in my viewer? My LOD is high.

The shorts really look odd, and its too bad because the texture is nice and the fit is good, other than the cocoon thing the shorts look very nice.

If there is no remade for this my new shorts are destined for the trash heap.

Thanks for any enlightenment you can give me on this.

I sent a note card to the creator but from everything I see in her note cards and her profile, English is not her first language so I'm not sure what I will get back from her and thought the Forums could help me understand why I get the cocoon thing around my legs.

What happened is the pants maker used the same mesh template for the long pants and the shorts and to make the shorts they just made the bottom of the pants transparent.

There are two ways of making something transparent in SL - using "alpha blending", where every pixel has variable transparency between 0 and 255, and "alpha masking", where every pixel is either 100% opaque or 100% transparent.

"Alpha blending" used to be the way everything was made transparent in SL, and it's harder on your graphics system because every pixel needs to be combined with the pixel "underneath" it and calculated. It also causes problems with "alpha sorting", which means that the graphics system becomes confused about what is in front of what and will display glitches like you're seeing.

The shorts must be set to "alpha blending", which is the default. If they are set to "alpha masking" you won't see the problem standing in front of walls, etc. If they're modifiable you can do it yourself - edit them, go to the texture panel and change the "alpha mode" from "Alpha blending" to "Alpha masking" and set the "Alpha cutoff" to a number higher than the default of 0. Then all of the pixels will either be completely transparent or completely opaque and you won't see that kind of glitch.

If they aren't modifiable you have to wait for the creator to fix them; meanwhile, you can shout "Bewwwww!!! Bewwwww!!!" at them like the old woman in The Princess Bride, which is what I generally do in this situation.

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Like 4

Thanks for the reply, the shorts like most things in SL are no modify. Depending on what I hear back from the creator I will send her a cut-n-paste from this thread and ask that she please fix the shorts, if not for me for others that purchase her items.

If not fixed my review will not be good, and no I'm not going to threaten her, it will just happen.

I can only assume that all her shorts have the same problem, but one pair is enough to stop me from purchasing any more shorts from her.

I had similar mini dress. It had originally been knee length, the texture designer has had a "brilliant" idea to shorten the dress by using alpha texture.
Being no mod it was totally unusable. I trashed it; nothing lost actually though as it was store group gift.

It seems that not all those texture designers who make things from mesh templates are aware of this problem.
This is one more thing to keep in mind when demoing clothes before buying. See how it looks against texture which has alpha channel in it.

Agree. Not you at all.

And honestly I am not a fan of "alphas" to save work. The shorts should have been made as shorts and uploaded again.  So yes, likely not the best person to buy from -- for awhile anyway. It is very likely that the shorts were a template since there are only a few creators that are actually MAKING clothes for eBody. Some I find (my alt is an eBody blogger) fit perfectly and others that "say" eBody might as well be for Belleza --- not close at all.   

I am guessing that there wasn't a shorts demo or you would have noted that in the tryon.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2111 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.