request for personal information

Scarlet Christos

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2080 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

After requesting a transfer of Linden dollars to a Paypal account I received an Email from LL stating that they couldn't proceed with this request until I verified my account by sending them a government issued photo ID.  I don't hold a driving license and my passport had expired.  Despite having no prior warning about this request I have been given just one month to provide this information.  As I'm not able to do this within that time I sent a ticket requesting more time but all I received was a notification saying that unless this information is received by LL by 14th July my account and all pending transactions would be put on hold.  As I can't get any extra time to provide this information my question is:  If my account is put on hold, how long after they have received the information they need will my account be reopened? and what will happen to the pending transaction?  I think LL are being unreasonable in sending an email demanding this information in such a short time without any prior warning.

6 answers to this question

This is a little hard to understand at first glance, but what you're seeing is Linden Lab's response to a U.S. Government regulation.  Second Life, and all other online "games", are under scrutiny by the feds to assure that they are not be used for money laundering.  To stay on the right side of the regulations, Linden Lab must ask anyone who seems even a little suspicious to provide official documents to prove who they are, before they can transfer funds.  They have no choice, and neither do you.  

6 minutes ago, Scarlet Christos said:

After requesting a transfer of Linden dollars to a Paypal account I received an Email from LL stating that they couldn't proceed with this request until I verified my account by sending them a government issued photo ID.  I don't hold a driving license and my passport had expired.  Despite having no prior warning about this request I have been given just one month to provide this information.  As I'm not able to do this within that time I sent a ticket requesting more time but all I received was a notification saying that unless this information is received by LL by 14th July my account and all pending transactions would be put on hold.  As I can't get any extra time to provide this information my question is:  If my account is put on hold, how long after they have received the information they need will my account be reopened? and what will happen to the pending transaction?  I think LL are being unreasonable in sending an email demanding this information in such a short time without any prior warning.

This sounds like the government mandated information needed if you cash out more than a certain amount of money. Not sure but long ago when this came into effect I think it was $600 US (I could be off there for sure). SOME folks didn't even get the email even though they had the correct email info in their account, so in one sense you are lucky to know this is happening. This rule has been in effect for WELL over a year (maybe two?  Someone will remember better than I). 

I am guessing that you are in the US since I don't THINK this was required for Europeans et al.

If so and you want your money you will need to go to your DMV and get a Identity card. You will need things like a birth certificate, current utility bill etc.  That gives you a week to comply so hopefully you can.

If not, I have no idea about the other parts of your question. If you can't get an answer from them, that's not good.

So a good reminder for NEW folks (or folks just starting to make money and cash out). Get your ducks in a row about this as you will need to have all the info to comply. Note this is NOT Linden Lab; this is a US government rule.  We lots a lot on 9-11, not just only loved ones. 

Good luck.

And I see Rolig beat me why I was pondering. BAD BAD ROLIG  - LOL.

Thanks for the quick response.  Can I just say that it IS required of Europeans, I'm not in the US I'm in the UK.  and my problem is not the fact that this information has been requested but the short time they have given me to provide it.  I have enquired about an identity card and was told it would take 4 - 6 weeks.  So, it looks inevitable that my account will be put on hold.  I'd just like to know how long it will take to reopen my account once LL have received the information.  I've read on some forums that some people have had a lot of difficulty getting their account back.

39 minutes ago, Scarlet Christos said:

I'd just like to know how long it will take to reopen my account once LL have received the information.  I've read on some forums that some people have had a lot of difficulty getting their account back.

Assuming that they find everything in order, it shouldn't take more than a day or so.  In the mean time, your account, inventory, L$ balance, and US $ balance will all stay as they are.

4 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:
45 minutes ago, Scarlet Christos said:

I'd just like to know how long it will take to reopen my account once LL have received the information.  I've read on some forums that some people have had a lot of difficulty getting their account back.

Assuming that they find everything in order, it shouldn't take more than a day or so.  In the mean time, your account, inventory, L$ balance, and US $ balance will all stay as they are.

Yeah, it's all a bit of a nuisance.  I'm not sure how much it has to do with 9/11, but internet identity theft and general fraud has been enough of a problem in the last ten years that the government has really been leaning on outfits like Linden Lab.  That's why, for example, you can't sell L$ for the first 30 days after your SL account is activated.  It's another way to discourage people from using SL for money laundering.  

7 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

I am guessing that you are in the US since I don't THINK this was required for Europeans et al.

It is. My partner and I are from the UK.  He has transferred out to paypal  before but last month he was asked for ID and to confirm his relationship to me and to our business alt because we transfer money between those accounts inworld .  He sent his driving licence and all went through fine within a few days.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2080 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.