Viewer 5.1.5.515811 release issues for 5/31/2018

Kyle Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2122 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

• Lindens

UPDATED POST!

After 5:00 PM PDT on 6/5/2018 we released a new build of Second Life 5.1.6.515965 into a Release Candidate cohort we named "Unloop". This is a mandatory update for all Windows 32 bit systems which will help them escape the loop. Even if you had already followed the instructions below, you will be updated to 5.1.6.515965.

Unfortunately, all Win8.1 or Win10 64 bit systems (not Win7 64bit) with any of the following GPUs: Intel HD, Intel HD 2000, Intel HD 2500, Intel HD 3000 or Intel HD 4000, cannot be forced out of the loop with mandatory updates. Since these GPUs do not have 64 bit driver support they must run the 32 bit version of Second Life. 

Residents with those hardware profiles will still need to manually uninstall Second Life *and* delete the remaining /downloads folder which is described in detail below.

Original Message

Greetings Residents!

To all our 32 bit Windows users and a select group of 64bit Intel HD graphics users too, we’re sorry.

Before noon (PDT) yesterday, 5/31/2018, we released the latest version of Second Life, version 5.1.5.515811. At the time of release there was an error defining the location of the 32 bit version of the Second Life viewer download. Because of that error, we delivered the 64 bit version of Second Life to everyone, even if your system was not capable of running it.

This morning we saw an increase of bug reports and community blog posts about viewer updates being stuck in a loop and began investigating immediately. Ultimately we discovered the flaw was the lack of a valid download link to the 32 bit version of Second Life in our update system. We corrected this swiftly just before noon today, 6/1/2018.

Anyone that did not attempt to log in to Second Life during that 24 hour window will not experience any issues. Anyone capable of running the 64 bit version of Second Life, was not impacted and shouldn’t have noticed anything but a normal Second Life viewer update.

Unfortunately, anyone limited to the 32 bit version of Second Life, that did attempt to log in to Second Life during that 24 hour window is now likely stuck in an endless loop of trying to install the 64 bit version of Second Life.

There is a way out of this loop. Updated Instructions.

1. Uninstall the the 64 bit version of Second Life

2. Open your file explorer in Windows

3. In the address bar type in %appdata% and press Enter

4. Locate the SecondLife folder and open it

5. Locate the downloads folder and delete it (this is where the incorrect 64 bit version keeps trying to install from)

6. Install the 32 bit version from: http://download.cloud.secondlife.com/Viewer_5/Second_Life_5_1_5_515811_i686_Setup.exe

7. Launch Second Life as normal (if this does not resolve your issue please file a bug report at https://jira.secondlife.com)

Thank you for your patience and understanding, we stumbled and we’ll make corrections to our processes to ensure this doesn’t happen again.

Edited by Kyle Linden
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I too have a 64 bit system and the viewer crashes since the update. I've reinstalled and the uninstalled and reinstalled but the same problem continues...it doesn't even login before crashing. On my other 64 bit computer the viewer does work and I am able to login, but it continually freezes. 

When I try to contact premium support I get an error message: "An error has occurred. Further information is available in the server log.

In my windows 7 computer yesterday after 2-3 tries I installed the viewer looks like working ok, but in my windows 10 still I can't I am in the loop. For now I use an alternative viewer but I will try again, anyway thank you for the information, I thought that it was something wrong with my computer yesterday. 

I was able to solve the crashing issue on my one computer by reverting to a windows restore point dated before the versersion 5.1.5.515811 was installed. On the computer where the viewer was freezing up, I used the process of deleting the downloads folder mentioned by Kyle Linden above (thanks Kyle). In both cases the viewer installs the latest viewer at launch and everything works out fine from there on.

Hopes this helps someone who might still be dealing with the loop issue.

• Like 1

• Lindens
5 hours ago, TreenaMarsaille said:

I have the 64 bit Intel graphics chip and I am still affected.  I uninstalled the existing version, downloaded the 

new version, still stuck in that loop.  What is the fix for the intel hd chip user? 

Hi TreenaMarsaille,

I can see that you have successfully logged in since your post. Sorry for the inconvenience. I'm happy your issue is resolved.

Thanks!

• Lindens
3 hours ago, Caissa Amat said:

In my windows 7 computer yesterday after 2-3 tries I installed the viewer looks like working ok, but in my windows 10 still I can't I am in the loop. For now I use an alternative viewer but I will try again, anyway thank you for the information, I thought that it was something wrong with my computer yesterday. 

Hi Caissa,

I suspect your Win10 system has one of the Intel HD graphics cards that will require you to use the 32 bit Second Life viewer on that as well. Please try this method as well:

1. Open your file explorer in Windows

2. In the address bar type in %appdata% and press Enter

3. Locate the SecondLife folder and open it

4. Locate the downloads folder and delete it

5. Launch Second Life as normal and the correct update will be applied

If that does not resolve your install problem please file a bug report at https://jira.secondlife.com Sorry for the additional inconvenience.

Thanks!

Edited by Kyle Linden
  • Like 2

• Lindens
36 minutes ago, ExploreCAT said:

I was able to solve the crashing issue on my one computer by reverting to a windows restore point dated before the versersion 5.1.5.515811 was installed. On the computer where the viewer was freezing up, I used the process of deleting the downloads folder mentioned by Kyle Linden above (thanks Kyle). In both cases the viewer installs the latest viewer at launch and everything works out fine from there on.

Hopes this helps someone who might still be dealing with the loop issue. 

Thanks ExploreCAT!

9 hours ago, o0oPrinCe0o said:

i used  FirestormOS-Releasex64
and Second Life Viewer
and Singularity

34258839_380239482487639_3790768445033807872_n.jpg

It's the wrong thread to ask in, hijacking other threads, especially a Linden's thread is bad manners.

However, the error message suggests you have connected to SL, but the region you are trying to log into isn't there or is firewall blocked.

Step 1: Try logging into a sim called : Jergans

Step 2: If that doesn't work, start your own thread in Answers

• Thanks 2

2 days ago i was rezzing things from my inventory and for some reason normal items would rezz BUT when i wanted to rezz out things from my RP i couldnt, all i could see on my screen was the black circle with the cross and a lock, i then checked the properties of these items while in my inventory and i got this message  [16:22] Šαşş Ӈawker (Assassinatar Resident): TestString PleaseIgnore, I then relogged thinking it was a glitch as i had been building a lot, when i came back in every thing from the creator ( Sombra Magic) was gone, i have tried many of the fixes to get them back and waited 2 days and still nothing...I put a lot of RL money into these items and would like them back..so is this a part of this update thing????

Edited by Assassinatar

On 6/3/2018 at 7:01 AM, Callum Meriman said:

It's the wrong thread to ask in, hijacking other threads, especially a Linden's thread is bad manners.

However, the error message suggests you have connected to SL, but the region you are trying to log into isn't there or is firewall blocked.

Step 1: Try logging into a sim called : Jergans

Step 2: If that doesn't work, start your own thread in Answers

lots of people in this day and age are not understanding of how a forum works and how you behave and act on forums

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 06/06/2018 at 12:25 AM, bigmoe Whitfield said:

lots of people in this day and age are not understanding of how a forum works and how you behave and act on forums

It's pretty clear from the start of the thread that this is about the Windows viewer, but I would have mentioned "Windows OS" in the thread title. I don't consider just the version number to be useful to us ordinary humans.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2122 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.