Mesh head/body visible transition on the neck

MIVIMEX

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2156 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello! Help please customize the mesh avatar! Head of Catwa Catya, body of Mitreya Lara. Skin Glam Affair Rina. The problem is that I can not connect the head with the body without a visible transition on the neck. how to do it? if it's the settings, then what should they be?

Thanks for any help!

Сan it be matter of specularity? if you set the same values, the transition disappears?

Snapshot_001.png

Edited by MIVIMEX

6 answers to this question

Unfortunately that is always a problem even when the parts fit perfectly together and the skin on both parts is identical. Other people have explained the technical issues better than I can, but it's to do with how the mesh on each part reflects the light at certain angles. I even have an Altamura full-body (body and head in one unit) with the same problem :$. The usual advice given is to wear a choker to cover the seam, but I personally don't go for chokers and just let my hair cover most of it.

Edited by angeoco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have an alt with a Catwa head and Maitreya body (not sure which head but an older one) and she has a perfect skin match. So it isn't a Universal problem.

There are a couple of things you can check. Make sure that neither your body nor head are tinted in any way and also check the shine and shimmer on the Maitreya body (and any glossiness on your head) as they could certainly cause this problem.

The other issue that comes up is that the body skin doesn't exactly MATCH the head skin  -- even though it is the same designer.  To check that you could try another (or several) demo skins from other shops and see if the issue persists. 

So -- could be a skin issue or a shininess issue.  I am doubting that it would be a problem between the Catwa head and the Maitreya body since those are the top sellers and I would SUSPECT that each brand tests against the other simply because of that :D.   Also we would have had more posts on the issue :D. 

And -- to angoco -- another alt has the Skin Fair $300 body from altamura with no lines at all at the neck -- so in that case it is the skin (should you have that same popular body). 

IT IS DIFFICULT getting a perfect (or so close to perfect it really doesn't matter) neck seam. Personally I keep my same skin forEVER cause I don't like to deal with it all. :D

Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

check the shine and shimmer on the Maitreya body (and any glossiness on your head) as they could certainly cause this problem.

thanks for informative answer! but now i got following question. what settings of the viewer should be to make it more visible which shimmer I put on my head and body? (pardon my noobility, i think it calls "windlights") i can of course just turn the shimmer off , but I want to keep a small gloss ("evenly")

24 minutes ago, MIVIMEX said:

thanks for informative answer! but now i got following question. what settings of the viewer should be to make it more visible which shimmer I put on my head and body? (pardon my noobility, i think it calls "windlights") i can of course just turn the shimmer off , but I want to keep a small gloss ("evenly")

Well if you do have a shimmer on there, that is likely a source of your problem.  I have mine turned off so I can't help about the windlight setting BUT it is very important to understand the YOU are the only one seeing yourself that way. So it is always good to check yourself in various light settings. 

You may -- if you want you skin to match as it should) get a "gloss" layer applier.  I haven't every tried one of these but I have seen them advertised and in vendor photos.

Good luck. 

• Thanks 1

Skin matching is just problematic.

You don't say which viewer you are  using. You are new so we assume the Linden default viewer. This is a bit easier in Firestorm, but... we work with what we have.

Windlight is the environment settings for sky, light, and water. There are settings that make skin matching easier. Since you are likely in the Linden viewer use this tutorial: https://strawberrysingh.com/tutorials/windlight-settings/

You'll want to click World->Environment Editor->Environment settings

Enable Customize my environment...

Set Fixed sky to CalWL that should give you ideal lighting for skin matching. If the setting is not in your list, follow Strawberry's tutorial to get CalWL or use one of her settings.

For specular and normals to do anything you need to have Advanced Lighting Model (ALM) enabled. Preferences->Graphics->(button) Advanced Settings... enable Advanced Lighting Model (in lower right).

Even with ALM you may have to be near a prim light or projector to see spec or norm maps produce a visible result. I suggest you not use prim/proj lights. Rely on the Windlight settings to provide the light you need.

If you apply the same skin to head and body they should match, PROVIDED the body and head have the same tenting, It may be easiest to clear the body and head tent. Then match color. The exception is as pointed out, the head and body have to have the same shiny settings and spec & norm or omission of the later two.

• Thanks 1

@angeoco @Chic Aeon  @Nalates Urriah

Thank you very much to everyone who took part! Tried everything you advised me. I put about the same values of the gloss. I used both prim light and windlight. I am very satisfied with the result. At settings CalWL the skin looks perfect. I'm convinced that the skin is all right. It's probably just that they are different manufacturers and the head and body are different meshes with different structures. Also think it's just a small shadow.

Snapshot_001.png

Edited by MIVIMEX
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2156 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.