what im doing wrong with creating a mesh sphere?

Nicole Hansome

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2197 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

hi :)

im still a beginner in creating mesh so im concentrating on making simple things and objects..

i want to build my own sky sphere to surround my house in the sky..

my Problem is when i create the sphere in cinema 4D and Upload it to sl then i got an enormous LI (Primcount)..

when i make the sphere 50x50 i have 40 prims.. of course the bigger the more prims.. okay.. but 40??? 

is there something i do wrong during the upload maybe? or does anyone has some tips for me how or what to do to lower that primcount of a simple sphere?

thanks very much in advance ;)

35 minutes ago, angeoco said:

Could you not just make a prim sphere, which would have a LI of 1?

I do see one reason why not. If you are living inside the sphere, you will probably want to see a sky/stars texture on its inside surface, which as far as I know is not possible with a prim, which will always appear transparent from the inside.

Edited by angeoco

hello :)

Thanks for the answers so far. 

well, i already thought about it and tried it with usual sphere prim.. but..  what i forgot to say in my first Post, i have a few self made 360 degree panorama picrures which i want to apply to the sphere.. on a usual prim Not really possible ?

16 minutes ago, angeoco said:

I do see one reason why not. If you are living inside the sphere, you will probably want to see a sky/stars texture on its inside surface, which as far as I know is not possible with a prim, which will always appear transparent from the inside.

If that were the only problem, the solution would be to hollow the sphere and put the texture on its inner surface.  Putting a seamless 360 panorama on that curved surface could be tricky, though. If I wanted to do the job entirely with native prims, I might make a hollow cylinder to place at the sphere's equator.  Place the 360 panorama on the inside face and make all the other faces 100% alpha so it doesn't matter it they stick through the outside of the sphere. If the cylinder is about 2/3 as high as the radius of your sphere, it will make a nice display surface for the panorama and will fill a good portion of the inside. Essentially, you'd be building something like a standard commercial skybox surround screen and putting it inside your sphere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicole Hansome said:

well, i already thought about it and tried it with usual sphere prim.. but..  what i forgot to say in my first Post, i have a few self made 360 degree panorama picrures which i want to

I suppose it's quite big then and that means there really only are two factors that matter for the land impact: the curve resolution (that is the number of vertices and triangles) and the physics.

35-40 land impact sounds like curve resolution 32 and that's probably a bit of an overkill for a screen. With smooth normals you should be able to get a good result even with half that resolution for the visual models and the physics can probably be reduced all the way down to a cube. That'll give you a cool six or less land impact. If 16 is too low, try 24. That'll increase the land impact a bit of course but not higher than 16 at most, probably less.

• Like 1

In addition to ChinReys suggestion, you can also reduce the triangle count significantly by optimizing the sphere topology.  There are some excellent examples on this page, Sphere Topology  (I usually use the method illustrated below, but there are other methods which may better suit your needs).

Spheretopo_dome.gif.d0726e342c839ffc0e081dd829a0d6a6.gif

Also since you'll only ever see the sphere from the inside you shouldn't have to worry so much about having a smooth curved surface as you're never going to see the silhouette of the object.

• Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2197 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.