3/14 (US) 14/3 (Everywhere Else)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2274 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

42 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Back, did I miss anything?

Yes - The big announcement about Premium members now getting 1024 sqm tier instead of 512 and tier prices themselves dropped 10%.  Thus, there apparently is lots of land buying going on - though some were having difficulties and LL just rolled out a patch for that.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Thanks 1

That is a lovely and heartfelt disclaimer, which I share, Rey. ;)

If you're interested in more spurious theories about the origins of "Yankee", other than the idea that it is derived from an Algonquian misinterpretation of the word "English", you might take a look at the Century Dictionary (1891), which cites Dr. W. Gordon (History of the American War, v. 1 (1789), p.324: "You may wish to know the origin of the term Yankee. Take the best account of it which your friend can procure. It was cant, favorite word with farmer Johnathan Hastings, of Cambridge, about 1713. Two aged ministers, who were at the college in that town, have told me that they remember it then to have been in use among students, but had no recollection of it before that period. The inventor used it to express excellency. A Yankee good horse or Yankee cider and the like, were an excellent horse and excellent cider."

Or, even more spurious, its suggestion that "Yankee" is derived from the Scandinavian ynka or ömke, which would give it almost the opposite meaning ("piteous" or "pitiful").

We have a strange language. As Humpty Dumpty said, a word can mean whatever you want it to.

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

That is a lovely and heartfelt disclaimer, which I share, Rey. ;)

If you're interested in more spurious theories about the origins of "Yankee", other than the idea that it is derived from an Algonquian misinterpretation of the word "English", you might take a look at the Century Dictionary (1891), which cites Dr. W. Gordon (History of the American War, v. 1 (1789), p.324: "You may wish to know the origin of the term Yankee. Take the best account of it which your friend can procure. It was cant, favorite word with farmer Johnathan Hastings, of Cambridge, about 1713. Two aged ministers, who were at the college in that town, have told me that they remember it then to have been in use among students, but had no recollection of it before that period. The inventor used it to express excellency. A Yankee good horse or Yankee cider and the like, were an excellent horse and excellent cider."

Or, even more spurious, its suggestion that "Yankee" is derived from the Scandinavian ynka or ömke, which would give it almost the opposite meaning ("piteous" or "pitiful").

We have a strange language. As Humpty Dumpty said, a word can mean whatever you want it to.

When two people like each other VERY much, sometimes one is the "Yankee", and one is the "Yanker". Sometimes, they switch places.

Fun Fact: It is impossible to make babies simply being a "Yankee".

11 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yes - The big announcement about Premium members now getting 1024 sqm tier instead of 512 and tier prices themselves dropped 10%.  Thus, there apparently is lots of land buying going on - though some were having difficulties and LL just rolled out a patch for that.

That implies that the total cost of tier should go down..right? lol

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2274 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.