ILUMINATIUNDEAD

Focus on subject for DoF photography?

Question

So I watched and read tutorials how to do photography, including DOF. I don't know how to make it focus on just one subject and make everything else blurry. Because either DOF works and everything gets blurry or nothing blurs at all! I heard I have to do a camera lock or something.? Can someone please help me ... thanks https://gyazo.com/b431d07f175040521718b9396e1b7a0a

5 answers to this question

Alt+left click on the object you want to be in focus.
If you happen to have a space navigator mouse, the focus will always be under the mouse cursor.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Depth of Field is a function of subject-lens distance, the greater the distance , the greater the depth of field. So don't set your camera 10 meters in front of the subject and expect to blur out a background that's 1m behind the subject. Set your camera about as close to the subject as the subject is from the background and then noodle with camera controls to get the look you wish.

• Like 1

I do what Whirly says and then adjust the DOF settings (Firestorm Phototools).  It is important to note that if you are shooting high rez photos (mine ae 6000 before resizing) you  need to make your photo BLURRIER than you want your finished work to be as resizing will give you less pixels and "sharpens" even if you don't use that ability in your graphics program.  

While the slider positions change depending on what I am doing, this is a shot of the last setting I used.

image.png.79bdf28ca5a19232cd8107d5011505de.png

• Thanks 1