Losing my eyeballs!

Anna Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2400 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am finding increasingly that bits of my ever-more-complex avatar seem to drop off on sim crossing or TP, sometimes even HUDs drop off the screen.   I have a belief (can't substantiate it 'cos I don't understand the underlying tech) that multiple attachments to same place make this worse (many items seem to want to be attached to 'pelvis', for instance), but I have noticed that some items are more prone to being lost than others.  In my case that's my mesh eyes.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom to share about this?  I tried a search, but it wasn't especially helpful.

My kit is an 8-Way AMD CPU 16Gb memory, GTX 1080Ti Graphics, running Linux 64bit Firestorm, 12Mbps rural internet, in case that's relevant.

4 minutes ago, anna2358 said:

I am finding increasingly that bits of my ever-more-complex avatar seem to drop off on sim crossing or TP, sometimes even HUDs drop off the screen.   I have a belief (can't substantiate it 'cos I don't understand the underlying tech) that multiple attachments to same place make this worse (many items seem to want to be attached to 'pelvis', for instance), but I have noticed that some items are more prone to being lost than others.  In my case that's my mesh eyes.

Does anyone have any words of wisdom to share about this?  I tried a search, but it wasn't especially helpful.

My kit is an 8-Way AMD CPU 16Gb memory, GTX 1080Ti Graphics, running Linux 64bit Firestorm, 12Mbps rural internet, in case that's relevant.

In the past when this was a far more prevalent issue it had very little to do with your own machine's hardware specifications and far more to do with network load as well as the server system load.

Essentially the server forgot what you had attached between handoffs - be that teleporting or simply crossing from one simulator to another.

Others may have some advice for you but in my experience there's very little at all you can do to control or prevent it.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, anna2358 said:

Multiple attachments in one location are a big cause, and they may not be necessary.

Any mesh that's "rigged" (follows your body - most clothing, mesh body parts and hair) can be attached to any of the attachment points without any change in how they look. Instead of just using "wear" to attach things, try using "attach to..." and spread them out some.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Multiple attachments in one location are a big cause, and they may not be necessary.

Any mesh that's "rigged" (follows your body - most clothing, mesh body parts and hair) can be attached to any of the attachment points without any change in how they look. Instead of just using "wear" to attach things, try using "attach to..." and spread them out some.

Indeed, and I am trying to do that where I can.  However, I only have eyeballs rigged to eyeballs, that they are the 'most dropped' items.  I suppose they may be the last-attached, and it's dropping the end of the attachment list?  Only thing I can think of.

Yesterday, I lost the HUD that goes with the bento head, but the head was still there.....  It's weird.

What worries me most is that I seem to be the only one asking.

Edited by anna2358
typo

10 hours ago, Bree Giffen said:

Sorry to hear that. I've never seen this in my entire time on SL. 

I'm beginning to think it is caused by my internet connection.  My partner and I have noticed that I loose things and they don't.   It definitely gets worse if I use a VPN - which still has a good transfer rate, but increases the latency - that's the time it takes from request to response, I think.  So it may be that the hand-off of the data-packet exceeds some timing threshold, and bits of it get dumped.  Only the Lindens would know.

But this would explain why this used to be a problem, but as internet connections have gotten better in general, the issue has largely disappeared.  I just happen to have a long-latency rural connection.

My left eye (mesh eyes) was sometimes not present when I logged on. The simple spot-fix  was to re-log and it was there on the second-go.

I have not seen this lately, and the only changes I have made were (a) I went back to the Test avatar and rebuilt my Look from scratch and (b) I have not had my avatar wearing glasses or sunglasses from about that same point.

Its not scientific, just my experience :-)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2400 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.