What is Allowed Residents purpose?

zyf444e668

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Well I have a parcel that some times gets griefers and trolls.When it gets bad it gets locked down to group only.I got complaints from several folk that they cannot enter the region due to not being in the group.So i add them to the Allowed Residents list since i didn't trust them being in the group.Next thing i know my staff saw it a issue and when i mentioned it's me doing it, i get told the Allowed Access List is the next step for staffing the land or whatever.I want to know, is the allowed residents list there so people can be put on there when the area is on lockdown, or is it for that but also gives them a chance to do something like allow others to the access list?Does the people on the list get extra privileges or just only allowed in at all costs?

Edited by zyf444e668

4 answers to this question

It's a little hard to understand what you are asking, but I think I get the general idea.  The Allowed list in the Region/Estate tools is simply a way to let people enter the region, even though you have closed the region to everyone else. It doesn't give anyone on the list any extra privileges.  It just allows them to enter.

If you want to give people specific abilities in a group, you do that by assigning them to roles in the group that have those abilities.  Group roles have absolutely nothing to do with the Allowed entry list.

Read

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

It's a little hard to understand what you are asking, but I think I get the general idea.  The Allowed list in the Region/Estate tools is simply a way to let people enter the region, even though you have closed the region to everyone else. It doesn't give anyone on the list any extra privileges.  It just allows them to enter.

If you want to give people specific abilities in a group, you do that by assigning them to roles in the group that have those abilities.  Group roles have absolutely nothing to do with the Allowed entry list.

Read

Thank you very much!I knew my friend was completely wrong and that I was right about this.You assured me that Allowed Residents list ONLY allows those in it to enter the region and nothing more.I deeply appreciate it.

Edited by zyf444e668
typo

2 hours ago, zyf444e668 said:

Allowed Residents list ONLY allows those in it to enter the region and nothing more

true, but be completely sure you have the land abilities set right ( about land/parcel details ) ... if you allow a whitelist and the land is open to rezz, terraform, scripts, and objects .... you still migth end up wth a mess...

Besides the "allowed residents" box, you should be able to configure your group in such a way that you can happily invite those extra persons - without having to worry about them being members.

You could create an extra role named "Guest", for example, or even configure the general role that everyone gets upon joining. Just carefully go through the role options and make sure that you hit the right options. When in doubt, come back here and ask. :)

Which way to go depends on the setup and the size of your group and probably your general purposes. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2441 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.