Deploy Plans for the week of 2017-08-21

Caleb Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2281 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Well I am inclined to say  "Better Late than Never", but for some folks it still IS never.

It was good to see an explanation of the issue, but I am afraid it is too little and far too late for many.  For those folk who had among the content returned broken No-Copy items there is no comfort.  Parcel auto-return is notorious for returning content as coalesced objects, which some simply do not understand and cannot recover.  Those that do know to use a sandbox have found much broken content.  LL's stock response is to hide behind clauses in the ToS, where it is baldly stated that content, irrespective of our investment in it, is theirs and solely theirs to lose or break as they see fit.

While I understand this I do NOT consider it a reasonable position for a company to take, especially when it is hoping for inward investment in a new product (Sansar).  In the limit although we have an explanation, for most nothing has changed.

Edited by Ayesha Askham
typonnese

On 15/09/2017 at 4:21 AM, Gadget Portal said:

Yeah, there really should be a section for patch notes, outages, news, etc.

What we have now is third party websites, user submitted wikis, and meetings that only a tiny fraction of residents can actually attend, thanks to things like time zones and jobs.

Let's be honest. Saying "anyone can attend" a meeting that happens in the middle of a weekday while they're at work is silly. Not everyone in SL is a retired old lady, after all.

Which is why there are weekly reports on the meetings from those of us who attend. It's easy enough to find them.  Again, the information is available.

As to "retired old lady" - I assume you're referring to your personal status. I'm years away from retiring, so hope you're enjoying yours ;-).

9 hours ago, Inara Pey said:

Which is why there are weekly reports on the meetings from those of us who attend. It's easy enough to find them.  Again, the information is available.

As to "retired old lady" - I assume you're referring to your personal status. I'm years away from retiring, so hope you're enjoying yours ;-).

Sounds like you took that kind of personally.

Also, all you did was repeat what I already said. "We have third party websites [documenting things]".

I'm saying that you and others shouldn't have to run personal blogs and websites reporting the Lab's changes. LL should be putting it up on their domains themselves.

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/09/2017 at 4:22 AM, Gadget Portal said:

Sounds like you took that kind of personally.

Also, all you did was repeat what I already said. "We have third party websites [documenting things]".

I'm saying that you and others shouldn't have to run personal blogs and websites reporting the Lab's changes. LL should be putting it up on their domains themselves.

The comment appeared to have a personal edge to it, given it had no other bearing on the discussion.

And we don't "have" to do anything. Those of us who report on meetings do so precisely because  - even when transcripts are / were made available - not everyone is given to reading them. Ergo, they help spread the word as much as anything else. 

• Like 1

On 27/09/2017 at 1:22 PM, Gadget Portal said:

I have to agree. Personally I want to see the information here, so that I am aware - before the roll - of anything my renters might encounter.

As an Aussie i can't make these office hours, and I have little interest in following third party blogs. This is information the lab need to provide, and it should be done in a timely manner. Why they can't automate it through Jenkins beats me.

On 10/19/2017 at 2:40 PM, Callum Meriman said:

I have to agree. Personally I want to see the information here, so that I am aware - before the roll - of anything my renters might encounter.

As an Aussie i can't make these office hours, and I have little interest in following third party blogs. This is information the lab need to provide, and it should be done in a timely manner. Why they can't automate it through Jenkins beats me.

Yeah, you Aussies should move your continent over to our time zone...

Part of the problem is wanting the information before the roll. I'm in my ninth year of following SL development. As best I can tell and have heard, the Lab pushes things and often is getting something out sort of last minute. And is the 'out/release' part that I mean as last minute. With millions of lines of code and thousands of aspects of a change to test, the Lab maintains an impressive software update process. All the indications are the work is well planned and coordinated.

Monday they are examining data from the prior week and deciding what will move forward and what will need more work. That decision is often put off until the last minute as various corrections are hoped to come out of the pipeline in time for a roll. In other cases some one pipes up and flags a deal breaker that blocks a release. 

So, the earlier information they could give us will likely often change by the time they make the actual roll. Then we will yell at them for getting it wrong.

There is a balance in the speed of the roll outs/releases and the amount of planned PR announcements. I would like better information and to have more timely information. But, I also think the Lindens are doing about as well as is humanly possible. There are days... but we all have those. So, if my choice is more updates and fixes and less accurate announcements OR more accurate and advanced announcements and fewer fixes... I'm want more fixes.

• 2 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 5:39 PM, arton Rotaru said:

xD

Well yes, there is an issue for quite some time with beta grid logins. If you can remember a previous password of yours, you can try to login with that. The thing is, passwords aren't carried over to the Aditi account. So once you changed the password of your SL account, this new password will not work on the beta grid. You can still login with the old password though. And once you have that accomplished, your new password will work the next time you log in on the beta grid as well.

If that doesn't work, the recommended action is to contact support, and they will fix it for you.

The reason this particular meeting is on the beta grid is, well, it's the "Server Beta User Group" meeting. To test new server versions before they appear on the main grid. So it has to happen on the beta grid, or it won't make any sense at all.

The Lindens hosting this meeting would be happy if more people would attend this meeting actually. It's a rather small group currently, because it's mostly internal fixes which are added to the server code. Basically what you call cliques is roughly a dozen of regular residents like you and me, who still went there to keep the meeting alive. And I appreciate that the Lindens hosting the meeting keep it going as well. Sometimes there are maybe only 5 of us attending it, and it would be understandable if the Lindens would just shut it down for good, because of the small number of attendees.

:SwingingFriends:

Yeah and this was to have been changed a while ago. Things are to be synced but they still aren't, because I cant log into the beta grid, and have been a apart of it for a while. I did put in a ticket, but don't think they respond as fast, as when I first started playing while back.

15 hours ago, Keanu Ronwood said:

Yeah and this was to have been changed a while ago. Things are to be synced but they still aren't, because I cant log into the beta grid, and have been a apart of it for a while. I did put in a ticket, but don't think they respond as fast, as when I first started playing while back.

What had changed is that your Agni inventory will be synced automatically just by logging in on the Aditi grid. Instead of being synced when changing your password.
That's independent of the login issue though. Good luck with your support ticket.

• Like 1

Ah still waiting on ticket, I had ticket accidently closed it out, doh, had to make a new one, but been like 2 days. Well change password on main grid, its it was to update in 24-48 hours I guess assumed they would have fixed the bug by now its end of january, for autologin sense its 2018. Guess all have to wait for them to update it, and sync password from Agni. 

• Lindens
On 1/25/2018 at 3:12 AM, Keanu Ronwood said:

Ah still waiting on ticket, I had ticket accidently closed it out, doh, had to make a new one, but been like 2 days. Well change password on main grid, its it was to update in 24-48 hours I guess assumed they would have fixed the bug by now its end of january, for autologin sense its 2018. Guess all have to wait for them to update it, and sync password from Agni. 

For first timers on aditi, you should contact support to get your account copied over. One you have access to aditi and login, there is going to be this inventory sync happening.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2281 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.