new to this and wondering how to make money from pictures?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2454 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I took a snapshot in game and made it into a simple wall hanging picture. I know it probably won't sell but I was going to list a copy in the market place. Then I found out I needed to add payment info to do that and I’m not going to.

Is there any other ways to try selling pictures without having an in world store?

5 hours ago, Jessica5690 said:

found out I needed to add payment info to do that and I’m not going to.

Is there any other ways to try selling pictures without having an in world store?

well... not adding payment info... no store, no MP..

thát were the options i guess

you could save it on hd, print out and try selling it at a stall in your street...or personal sale at the door   ... RL of course...

14 hours ago, Jessica5690 said:

Simply, no.

There are two reasons why LL wants you to have a payment method on file.  One is to encourage you to have a way to take your profits out of SL, if you choose to do that.  The more important one is to discourage you from selling pirated products.  In theory, at least, it's easier for LL to clamp down on pirates if they have a name and financial handle on them.  Neither of those reasons plays out as well as it ought to, but that's the idea anyway.

• Like 1

Alwin and Rolig are very smart and know almost everything about SL, but this might be a bit out of their wheelhouse.

There are supposedly some galleries in-world that will take things from others and sell them for you, at least I have heard that there are, I haven't found them yet. I have three in-world stores of my own that I use to sell my own art. Do you have a home? if so you could hang it there, tell people about it, and try to get someone interested enough to come by and see it. I don't have exact figures but I am sure most of the art I have sold has been to people I talked to first about it and then showed it to. Another idea I have thought about but never tried, is getting business owners to hang a piece in their business that would be available for sale. I don't know if this would work, because as i said I never tried it, but say you put your picture in a club somewhere, and you and the club owner agree to split the profits from any sales. The other side of this is that the club owner might say to you no, I don't want that for my club, but I will buy one for my home. Anything that gets the word out is a good thing. Another thing that does work, because I have done it, find a sim where you have rez rights by joining a group, join the group, Then rez your picture on and easel and stand there next to it like you are painting it. People will notice you and may buy a copy of the picture. Set you picture to be for sale so they just need to click it to buy it. There are also art shows put on by groups such as Kultivate, that give the opportunity of selling pieces, but most likely you will need to have an established body of work to show them, this however can just be a Flickr page of your images. There are lots and lots of people out there making pictures and trying to sell them, so do not expect to get rich in SL doing this, but it is fun and gratifying to be able to sell a few things, and be able to buy a few dresses and shoes.

• Like 3

Sorry. I've been busy lately.

Thanks for the info. I do kinda understand the reasoning for them wanting payment info but I don't intend to add it as I don't spend money on games and am very selective about where I use a credit card.

Also I have no interest in taking money I’ve earned in world out. I just want to spend it in second life. Mostly just to help cover the costs of taking snapshots or uploading pictures.

And thanks again Talligurl. I kinda like the idea of trying to sell from an easel. Do you use a painting animation or anything when you do that?

On 07. 07. 2017. at 2:41 PM, Jessica5690 said:

I don't spend money on games and am very selective about where I use a credit card.

This is wrong on so many levels... As I understand, you would like people to buy your work, made in game but at the same time claiming how you don't spend money on games? Sorry but it goes both ways :) 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tamara Artis said:

This is wrong on so many levels... As I understand, you would like people to buy your work, made in game but at the same time claiming how you don't spend money on games? Sorry but it goes both ways :) 

Oh, I don't know about that. I think it depends on how you define "spending money on games".  I have been in SL for over ten years. I promised myself at the start that I was going to try to make SL pay for itself, so I have very rarely brought any money in from RL.  I can say legitimately that I don't spend money on games (or on SL itself), even though I earn a fair income in L$ and spend it all in world or in paying land fees for my region.  I don't share the OP's fears about using my credit card -- that's what it's for, after all -- but I haven't needed it much here either.

• Like 1

On 09. 07. 2017. at 3:47 PM, Rolig Loon said:

Oh, I don't know about that. I think it depends on how you define "spending money on games".  I have been in SL for over ten years. I promised myself at the start that I was going to try to make SL pay for itself, so I have very rarely brought any money in from RL.  I can say legitimately that I don't spend money on games (or on SL itself), even though I earn a fair income in L$ and spend it all in world or in paying land fees for my region.  I don't share the OP's fears about using my credit card -- that's what it's for, after all -- but I haven't needed it much here either.

I am kinda same and I also said to myself that I won't spend money on SL. I said that because I like to spend money online and I knew that its best not to do it at all lol. I did buy some lindens so I can get payment info and sell them later for real life money. 

For me, lindens are no different than real life money and they have real life value. Majority of people who buy our items are those who buy lindens. There are tons of people out there who are more than happy to pay few real life dollars (which they earned) to SL artists and hobbyists. What I want to say is that, no matter what we plan to do with our lindens, it is not fair to ask for advice about earning money and at the same time say how you don't want to add your cc info, don't want to open a store, don't want any kind of your personal info to be known but do want other people's money. 

• 1 month later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2454 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.