account ID requirements

Neural Blankes

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2490 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So apparently even if you have been doing business in Second Life for over a decade, both buying and selling L$, Linden Lab has now decided  to A) Require you to provide some form of Identification, and B) Ban you from SL if you don't respond to an e-mail that they supposedly send out requesting this information.

Being that a good friend of mine just found herself banned because, according to her, she never received said e-mail, and having had personal experience with e-mail communication being unreliable at best, how am I, or anyone else who has monetary transactions, supposed to know when someone at LL decides it's time to renew ID proof on an account?

And why is this suddenly an issue now?  She and I both have, over the past 10 years, withdrawn money and done credit transfers, but suddenly *now* they are asking for ID?

5 answers to this question

In the absence of any more information that might give some context for your concern, all I can do is guess.  One possibility is that you have not been providing the information that Linden Lab needs to pass on to the IRS regarding your potential tax liability.  If you regularly buy and sell a lot of L$, the feds expect Linden Lab to pay close attention and guard against money laundering. Take a look at

From time to time we have had people post here in Answers about having an account frozen because they had not provided the information.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Neural Blankes said:

Being that a good friend of mine just found herself banned

are you sure about this?... my experience is that "only" the funds that wait for processing are frozen, not the account itself.

At most the account goes on administrative hold, if you don't get the message than .. the understanding i mean.. to contact LL , there's more than just missing a email...

I'm sure she was banned yes, but she's dealing with support.

I'd simply like to know if there is any way to prevent this from happening to me.  I don't want to have an e-mail sent to me from LL and have it go to spam, or show up when I'm on vacation or such and come back to find myself banned/suspended/etc.

If LL needs more information from me, I really want to know about it *before* it becomes a problem. 

Step #1 is to go to Account >>> Change E-Mail on your own dashboard at secondlife.com (or just click the "SL Hand" icon at the top of this page).  If you don't see the word "Verified" in green, with a check mark next to it, then please verify it to let LL know that the address is current.  All you have to do is click the link.  Then be sure that the spam filter in your e-mail account is configured to let SL e-mail through.  If you do that, you'll be pretty sure that you won't miss important notices from LL.  Then, of course, you still have to read them (which I don't always do as carefully as I ought to).  :)

• Like 1

Based on a few other posts here about LL asking for info, you should have 30 days from the date of the email, so unless you are taking a super long vacation, that shouldn't be an issue.
LL asking for more info seems to apply to folks that hit some specific $ amount on the money they are taking out of SL - and that is because of IRS rules.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2490 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.